cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller offering Diane von Furstenberg dresses that turned out to be counterfeit. Should I report?

Hi, I have a quandary. I recently purchased a Diane von Furstenberg dress from an eBay seller. Since I own several DVF dresses bought directly from DVF.com, I immediately realized upon opening the package that the dress was a counterfeit, albeit a good one. I returned the dress. I feel like I should have reported the seller, but I was focused on just getting my money back and didn't say anything about the dress being fake. He has the identical item listed in several sizes still. If I were to report him now, my fear is that the action would be viewed negatively, since I should have done it before I initiated the return. Any advice? 

Belle
Message 1 of 28
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Seller offering Diane von Furstenberg dresses that turned out to be counterfeit. Should I report?

BTW, did you mention to the seller that you knew the dress was fake?

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

If it were me. I'd leave him appropriate red feedback stating the dress you bought was counterfeit. Maybe prospective buyers might turn away if they happen to read his feedback. 

But I would still report his listings that you know are fake.

If it happens that you ever get a fake again, you should file a SNAD for the reason of counterfeit. It will put the seller on Ebays radar.

Never let a sellers of fake goods off the hook.

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

BTW, did you mention to the seller that you knew the dress was fake?

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

No, again too self-interested, I'm ashamed to say. I was out $200 and just wanted to get it back before stirring anything up. I abhor the practice of designer counterfeiting, and know I should have done the right thing first. I'm feeling pretty guilty and disgusted with myself for not going ahead and reporting it right away.

Belle
Message 4 of 28
latest reply

You can assuage your guilt by leaving the red donut and informing others.

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

Okay. Definitely will do that!
Belle
Message 6 of 28
latest reply

@southernfriedbelle wrote:

Hi, I have a quandary. I recently purchased a Diane von Furstenberg dress from an eBay seller. Since I own several DVF dresses bought directly from DVF.com, I immediately realized upon opening the package that the dress was a counterfeit, albeit a good one. I returned the dress. I feel like I should have reported the seller, but I was focused on just getting my money back and didn't say anything about the dress being fake. He has the identical item listed in several sizes still. If I were to report him now, my fear is that the action would be viewed negatively, since I should have done it before I initiated the return. Any advice? 

@southernfriedbelle

I'm curious so I tried to find the listing. I didn't find it based on your description, the price you said you paid and the fact that you were going to leave (what you considered) appropriate feedback. (I'm assuming you bought with a buying ID because you have no recent feedback either received or left on your southernfriedbelle ID.)

What I'm going to say is probably not going to be what you want to hear.  But I have to say it because IMO, it seems as though there's no way to determine whether the dress you got is fake or not and MORE IMPORTANTLY, there's no way that YOUR listings prove authenticity.

I don't generally sell clothing but I do sell other items and even for NWT items, I NEVER use stock images. Firstly, those stock photos are someone else's copyrighted material and not mine to use but more important is that I want my buyers to see exactly what they're going to receive.

While searching for DVF, what I found is that 99.9% of the listing use stock photos!  I don't know whether this is one of the categories of items that ebay allows via images in their catalog.

Did the listing from which you purchased show pictures of the actual item? Was the item NWT? Did she show labels, tags, care labels, etc?

If there were no pictures of her dress in her possession were shown, do you not think it's irresponsible to have bought a presumably faked brand without them?

(I also notice that your own listings use stock images. Again, I don't know if they're in the catalog but if not, their use isn't allowed.)

And my last question: How do you know that the dress you received is fake? I realize you said you own some DVF dresses but respectfully, owning a few of a brand doesn't make one an expert.

Did you get a professional authentication?

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

Right, on all accounts. I did buy it with a different ID because I wanted to use PayPal Credit and my southernfriedbelle ID is connected to my eBay MasterCard and won't allow me to choose that option. I bought it under PJDesignergrrl. I have 1 purchase and zero feedback for that ID. The dress I'm referencing can be found by searching Sold Listings for DVF New Jeanne Two Twigs Green. It was bought for $179.95 on June 2, 2017.

And, no I haven't left feedback, good or bad. Thanks for the heads up on the stock photos. Will correct ASAP.

Belle
Message 8 of 28
latest reply

came from Hong Kong?

They are using stock photos yes, but there are actual photos of the dress in there as well. Is the dress pictured the one you received? Because I dont see anything fake about those photos.

I just checked the ones I have listed over on another site and the tags are the exact same and I know mine are real.

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

I just looked and the other ones they have listed, the chain print and the blue one, I have never seen that tag before. If that was a new label, I would expect a hologram. Those are likely fake.

I wonder if they had a real dress in the green they took photos of and then sent a fake one.

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

I took down all stock photos. Could you tell me how to access the catalog? Thanks!
Belle
Message 11 of 28
latest reply

I know, but on the one I received, the labels and tags appeared authentic, except they were sewn in crooked in some places. The one in the collar had stitching that was uneven and made the label pucker. I actually have this dress in a size 0 that I've never worn, that I purchased from DVF.com, and when I compared the two dresses side by side, it was obvious the lettering on the questionable one was too close together and the spacing between the words was off as well. Will reply to your other comment tonight. Gotta get ready for work right now! 😊
Belle
Message 12 of 28
latest reply

Can you tell me where to find and use the catalog? I appreciate your taking time to comment. There's so much I seem to be unaware of!
Belle
Message 13 of 28
latest reply

@southernfriedbelle wrote:
Can you tell me where to find and use the catalog? I appreciate your taking time to comment. There's so much I seem to be unaware of!

I don't know whether clothing is included. (Personally, I'd never use stock or other sellers' images because if the buyer has an issue, how do you prove condition, item, etc.?

How the eBay catalog works

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/product-details.html

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

Just so you know for the future, 

You can't lose money on ebay when you state that an item is fake. You are still covered under the ebay gaurantee. 

Message 15 of 28
latest reply