cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question About a Pendleton Scarf

I'm not great with fabric, but this Pendleton scarf says 100% wool on the tag, but it doesn't feel like wool. Is there a process to make wool feel smooth and more like a polyester, or...2.jpg3.jpg1.jpg

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Question About a Pendleton Scarf

Sure, many men's wool suits are like that.   Wool can take many forms.  That said, IDK if your item is authentic. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Are you wanting to wear it yourself and change its texture to be smooth?  Or are you thinking of selling it?

If you plan to wear it, and just don't like the texture, the only way to smooth it out to make it like polyester, that I can think of is to scorch it, which is basically ruining it by applying excess heat from an iron to it.  That will create that smooth shiny effect that happens when an inexperienced person tries to iron a pair of wool pants and uses too hot an iron and creates a shine on the fabric where the iron was too hot and moved too slowly,  In that case, the pants are considered basically ruined and fit for nothing but gardening or mowing the lawn. 

But if you use this technique on a rectangular piece of wool, you can get the effect throughout that you desire.

To be honest though, to me, that is really a heartbreaking thing to do with a nice piece of wool.

If your wanting to sell this scarf on eBay, then don't even think of doing anything to it.  All that will get is a buyer complaining that the scarf isn't really wool and/or has been destroyed by mishandling.

So it all depends on what you want to do with the scarf.  If you wanted to wear it and find it too scratchy, you might consider just giving it away to someone who will appreciate it as it is and getting yourself a scarf that you can enjoy.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Cashmere maybe?

Cashmere wool is a fine, soft wool that is prized for its softness and warmth. The wool is usually white or cream in color and feels like silk to the touch. It is lightweight and has a wonderful, subtle sheen. 

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

sorry, I just realized you weren't WANTING it to feel smooth like a polyester, but were worried that because it was so smooth, it might be polyester and not wool.   My bad.

There are many types of wool, including those that are smooth.

One way to tell is to lightly steam it, pure wool has a distinct odor when steamed. Just compare the scent to that of something that you are confident is wool.

Pendleton scarves are not counterfeited, so I don't think you need to worry - it's what it says it is.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply