cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help authenticate the coach bag, thanks!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Please help authenticate the coach bag, thanks!

@linnea_54 wrote:

When I was researching the dating of the bags by the codes I thought they said that the first letter was the month.

M is December because they usually skip I (letter i) to avoid confusion with 1 (number 1). But there are also instances (on genuine Coach items) in which (usually) non-US factories used letter I as the month code as well as cases with N as the month code. 

Because counterfeiters also make mistakes, it's a good idea to have bags looked at to verify whether it's a Coach mistake or a fake. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Authentic convertible clutch, made in 1994. 

albertabrightalberta

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Thank you so much, I really appreciate the help. The "M" confused me 😊

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

What was it about the 'M' month letter that confused you?

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

When I was researching the dating of the bags by the codes I thought they said that the first letter was the month.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@linnea_54 wrote:

M is December because they usually skip I (letter i) to avoid confusion with 1 (number 1). But there are also instances (on genuine Coach items) in which (usually) non-US factories used letter I as the month code as well as cases with N as the month code. 

Because counterfeiters also make mistakes, it's a good idea to have bags looked at to verify whether it's a Coach mistake or a fake. 

albertabrightalberta

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Oh my, that makes sense not using the I. Very confusing for the layman though. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me. 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Here is a much better answer to your question:
Month Codes:
A=January
B= February
C=March
D=April
E=May
F=June
G=July
H=August
I-September: Special Note here...Never used in the USA* (*There are some samples of USA Usage of 'I' especially some late 90’s ‘B’ Plant usage, and possible mistakes and 'B' Factory codes (around 1998) that are probably authentic) but 'I' was also used by China, Costa Rica, Hungary, Italy and Thailand at least, (And Maybe More Countries) to My Knowledge.
So...Always consult a person with extensive knowledge about an "I" or "N" month code on any Bag.
J=September: Also note-A HIGHLY Faked Letter/Month-Be Cautious on these bags
K=October
L=November
M=December
N= USUALLY Not Authentic for the USA...and any letter 'O' through 'Z' are NOT AUTHENTIC, There are some exceptions mentioned above and some transposition errors so have those checked by a person with extensive knowledge.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Here is a much better answer to your question:

Month Codes: 

A=January

B= February

C=March

D=April

E=May

F=June

G=July

H=August

I-September: Special Note here...Never used in the USA* (*There are some samples of USA Usage of 'I' especially some late 90’s ‘B’ Plant usage, and possible mistakes and 'B' Factory codes (around 1998) that are probably authentic) but 'I' was also used by China, Costa Rica, Hungary, Italy and Thailand at least, (And Maybe More Countries) to My Knowledge.

So...Always consult a person with extensive knowledge about an "I" or "N" month code on any Bag. 

J=September: Also note-A HIGHLY Faked Letter/Month-Be Cautious on these bags

K=October

L=November

M=December

N= USUALLY Not Authentic for the USA...and any letter 'O' through 'Z' are NOT AUTHENTIC, There are some exceptions mentioned above and some transposition errors so have those checked by a person with extensive knowledge.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

.....as the OP's eyes glaze over.......

Some people need to follow the KISS rule.

albertabrightalberta

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Thanks for the additional info, I will keep this info for future research.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Your welcome. Information is a wonderful thing to share! I wish more 'Experts' would do so.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Love the pup!

Message 13 of 13
latest reply