cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inappropriate Pictures

Hello. I was just wondering if anyone knows if eBay has a content filter I can turn on, to block listings with pictures that should be rated as extremely inappropriate. I cannot say how many times I went to look for a simple cardigan sweater or long sleeping pajama pants or just women's tops in general and have been absolutely horrified by the content allowed to be seen on some of these listings. I am a Christian woman and do not appreciate seeing almost completely naked individuals posing in clothes that are not even relevant to my searches. I am ashamed to have been subjected to these types of pictures. These are things people would be arrested for and should not be shown at all. Children and young adults especially should not be subjected to this type of outrageous advertising by simply clicking on a search category. I would highly advise eBay to consider not selling these items at all or at least having those sellers be blocked, unless rated X content is turned on. Thank you guys so much for your efforts, time and help! God bless

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Inappropriate Pictures

I shop for clothing on here all the time and rarely see inappropriate pictures. Only when I search for Chaps clothing but whatever. Even then it's just naked butts. I have never seen any pictures outside of the adult section (which I don't visit) that would justify arrest. In fact I don't remember seeing anything on Ebay you would not be able to see at your local beach.

We all have bodies. Even Christians. If incidental nudity bothers you then perhaps Ebay is not the venue for you.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

I look at tons of listings each week while researching and  I've rarely come across innappropriate photos but if you do there is a "report item" link that you can click on  each listing. 

"Penny" -- Atlanta area, ebay seller for 2.5 years, Mom to 4 amazing offspring, DD 24, DD 22, DS 19 and DD 16, loves line dancing, reading and live theatre (esp. musicals), one pet - Thor the pupnado - a one year old Staffie mix,
Message 3 of 20
latest reply

I wonder if the OP is offended by attractive men and women whose muscles and cleavages show in the pictures of themselves modeling their clothing and/or handbags.

There's nothing illegal or immoral about clothed people with attractive bodies. As long as there's no nudity, promiscuity, pedophilia, or other inappropriate acts, I don't see a problem.

And if the OP opens a listing in which she (or he) takes offense, there's a "back" button so the OP can move on to the next listing.
albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Thank you for the advice, I figured that was probably what the option was, click on it and report it. I do not like seeing women with extremely low cut shirts or super short pants, or even bathing suits, but I just try to ignore it. I am referencing a picture I saw last night while just looking at pajama bottoms. Like the long fleece kind. It was of a woman who had on a mesh body suit and the top part had two holes cut out with her extremities visible. That is what offends me. A simple search turns into almost complete nudity photo shoots. Thank y'all again:) God bless

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Why on Earth would you report a listing that does not violate Ebay policy.

Do you call the police when you see cleavage on women walking down a sidewalk and tell the police you want them arrested because you're offended? Of course you don't!

Just because something offends your personal beliefs doesn't make it wrong!

If you don't approve of what you find on ebay, then maybe you might want to shop catalogs or something. Maybe you can convince a Christian store you frequent to carry sedate, morally correct (by your standards) clothing.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

BTW, you must be 18 to be on Ebay.

I'm pretty sure by that age, most people have seen a naked body or two.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

I am not saying anything against things that may not be appropriate to view such as too low cut tops or super short shorts. I am talking about almost completely naked women. I mean with nothing on their tops and the tiniest of strings on their bottoms. That's what I am referring to, not the other stuff. I am just asking for a way to simply not view basically nude women when I go to search for a pair of pants or a shirt. I have seen women in bathing suits and I watch TV which is filled with women who have super inappropriately cut tops and I am not even saying anything against that. I have seen that stuff before. I mean when u can see a women's chest completely uncovered...something is absolutely  wrong about that. I am not saying to arrest anyone, but what I am saying is people do get arrested for showing pictures like that to people on the internet. 

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

In response to the age comment...you may have to be 18 to sign into and use eBay. You do not have to be 18 to search it without signing in. 

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

You are entitled to be offended by whatever offends you but it's pretty clear that no other responder including me agrees with you so best to stop the rant, hit the back botton when you see something that offends you or stop using the internet for shopping and research and definitely avoid all art museums whether they be classical or contemporary.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Apologies for the typo on button.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

You have to be 18 to search in the adult section. What you are seeing sounds like the adult section, so my suggestion would be not to look there if it offends you.
Message 12 of 20
latest reply

I don't even know how to look in the adult section to be honest with you. Same thing happened again to me last night. I looked for either a chiffon top or something like that and in the middle of normal listings, there are the extremely inappropriate pictures again. I don't click on them. They are just listed on the page I am searching on. 

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Thank you all for your time. Especially thank you to Penny who responded with an answer to my question. I know what I believe and even that picture I saw was inappropriate for someone who would normally not care about that sort of thing. I merely type in chiffon or button down shirt in women's clothing and get search results listed on those pages that are absolutely not relevant to what I am searching. If you so the same and click on price low to high, you will probably see some of the stuff I am talking about. I already found out how to message eBay with feedback on it. God be with you and God bless

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

OP you are missing the whole point. I'm sure that there are offensive pictures on ebay and I'm also sure that most have differing opinions about what offends them but what we're trying to tell you is that there is virtually no way to know whether e.g. a search for "tee shirt" will bring up a bunch of wet tees and/or wet tees with cutouts or a runway piece from Chanel. 

I'm sure there are potential offensive gallery pictures for every category so as we told you before you can spend 24/7 reporting stuff that offends you (which may not offend anyone else and can be a ridiculous waste of time because it may or may not be taken down), stop using the internet, or tough it up a bit and just quickly scroll through stuff you don't want to look at. 

You're beating a dead horse. 

Message 15 of 20
latest reply