cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gucci silk scarf to dry clean or handwash?

Got today a truely stunning 100% authentic Gucci silk scarf with equestrian pattern.  The condition appears like it was worn once or twice, as the silk has that great "new twill silk" feel to it.  However, there is a stain - large, and in the most noticeable place.  Looks like something clear was spilled on it, so the stain itself is not present but there is a yellow outline, like water stain around it.   I do not mind to spend money on dry cleaners but I feel that all dry cleaners around me are not good.  I handwashed silk scarves before, but not of such value, so I am relly not sure what to do. What would you do?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Gucci silk scarf to dry clean or handwash?

I hand washed a Pucci scarf and the colors ran. It was wrecked! (I did use cold water and Woolite but obviously that didn't help!)
albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

yep, that is what I am afraid of, because the colors are so vibrant, i can just see a color run. Yet I see that I will be picking up from dry cleaners the scarf with that same stain, after paying them anyways "because they tried"... 😞
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

After being in retail for eons and being known as the Chinese Laundress, I learned a very valuable lesson: NEVER use Woolite. It is much harsher than you can imagine. I've seen more items damaged by that stuff.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@a*river*runs*through*it wrote:

After being in retail for eons and being known as the Chinese Laundress, I learned a very valuable lesson: NEVER use Woolite. It is much harsher than you can imagine. I've seen more items damaged by that stuff.

Thanks. I wish I'd know that BEFORE I damaged a gorgeous scarf! 

albertabrightalberta

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

it always amazes me how people manage to get their scarves so stained, I guess that happens if you were them as accessories thru the day, and eat while you are wearing them.  I usually were mine with coats/jackets, and them them off when take off coats/jackets, so all my scarves are flawless.

Thank you for the suggestion, I also read somewhere that some move brave of us got rid of water stains by running hot/boiling water from the stain out.

now that I am looking my my Gucci at day light I see that the stain inside of water stains edge is also yellow-ish.  Also there are few other spots here and there... So what is now?  I feel that I should take it to dry cleaners and let them do their best and if that does not work - I can just try to wash it.  I wish I could care less and just wear as is, but I am such perfectionist 😞

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

sorry, "were" = "wear" 🙂

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Dry cleaners here are no good either & so I use them as a last resort if at all. If I were you, I'd do a little experimenting, starting with a q-tip and plain water. Dip a q-tip in water, blot on paper towel to remove excess and first dab a spot within your stain. Any change? Let dry & check again. I'd check the very edge of the stain also to see if that line lightens or disappears. Do same with colors to see if any transfers to q-tip - if not, you're probably safe to go a bit further.

Do you happen to have a Dryel kit? There is a little bottle of stain removing liquid which has worked many small miracles, especially on pale yellow stains - removes them with nothing left behind. I believe they sell the liquid seperately now, so you may want to invest. I have heard others say this stuff doesn't work though, so your results may or may not be positive. Proceed with caution.

We have hard water & any little spot I treat leaves a water stain on any type fabric, even cotton. The only way to remove them is to thoroughly wet the entire piece & allow to drip/air dry.  If you find no color transfer, you may want to try this. I sometimes use bottled water instead of tap.

I have a vintage Pucci silk crepe scarf, large size, vivid color design with off-white ground. Perfect condition EXCEPT little blue ink spots everywhere. A lot of trial and error later it is much improved - most of the ink is gone - didn't want to press my luck so just left the stubborn ones be. It can be done. Good luck 🙂

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Anything of silk material for me goes straight to the dry cleaners.  I'm so afraid of experimenting that I won't take the risk.

I damaged my new Anna Sui silk dress by washing it.  The colour run all over and there wasn't much I could do.  I still have the dress to remind me to never wash silk again! One day, I'll sell it off ebay in case someone would like to buy it for the style 🙂 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

here is the update for my Gucci scarf. I took it to one dry cleaners... they had it for few days, and then called me back and said they are not going to do it, they were afraid to clean i??? It is like - really?  I go to my work and there is nothing there that I am "afraid" to do.  Took it to other cleaners, which I never had good experience with, but I was running out of my options.  They took it, tried to clean it, the big yellow stain got just a bit lighter but still very much there.  They did not charge me for trying at least, unlike few other times.  So the scarf is back with me.  I have decided that I will just strategically fold it and wear it as is. 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@love.sell.cutestuff wrote:

here is the update for my Gucci scarf. I took it to one dry cleaners... they had it for few days, and then called me back and said they are not going to do it, they were afraid to clean i??? It is like - really?  I go to my work and there is nothing there that I am "afraid" to do.  

It's probably not the cleaning that they're afraid of; it's the thought of litigation should the scarf get ruined and you sued.

albertabrightalberta

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Excellent idea! I would have done the same.
Message 13 of 13
latest reply