cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Genuine Coach Bag removed

I've had my listing ended because they said it's counterfeit.  Now, I'm suspended for 7 days.  Been selling since 1999 and have over 11,000 successful transactions with 100% positive.  Never had this happen before.  And it turns out the bag is genuine.  

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Genuine Coach Bag removed

I believe they are all very knowledgeable.  But how come there are so many fakes on eBay anyway?  Why do some people get away with it?

Message 16 of 36
latest reply

@cobalt50 wrote:

I believe they are all very knowledgeable.  But how come there are so many fakes on eBay anyway?  Why do some people get away with it?

We can search and report fakes till the cows come home but with 10s of thousands of listings on ebay, it's impossible to find, open and report all the fakes.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 17 of 36
latest reply

@cobalt50 wrote:

I need a typing class.  D6J-5266.  So, the peple on these boards are probably more knowledgeable than a person answering the phone at Coach who just looks at a lis.

Thats right. Coachs computers DONT include serial number prefixes! All one of their CS reps can pull up is the STYLE NUMBER, NOT the prefix or what the digits in the prefix means. They dont have a blasted clue.

READ THESE - These are members here who posted here as acknowledged Coach experts for more than ten years, along with a seller whos dealt in Coach products for almost the same amount of time:

SALEAREA COACH GUIDES - 

AUTHENTICITY GUIDES - FACTS AND MYTHS, which exposes the mistakes and outright lies in so-called Authenticity Guides for the nonsense they are:

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Coach-Authenticity-Guides-Facts-and-Myths-/10000000062607882/g.html

Myth - "THE "YOU CAN VERIFY IT'S REAL BY CALLING COACH OR TAKING IT TO A COACH STORE" RULE
OK, this is a tough one.
Coach's employees especially the SA's and store managers are lovely, hardworking people - but they shouldn't be trying to authenticate what they've never been trained to analyze. They have no training from Coach about even the most basic signs of fakes unless they're items currently on their shelves, they don't have the time to spend 4 to 8 hours a day studying photos, comparing details between multiple photos of the same style bag, keeping files of each and every style number and factory and manufacturing code they can find on Ebay, saving literally thousands of photos and tens of thousands of lines of text posted by Coach experts and poring over photos with a magnifying glass to spot discrepancies and incorrect details, and spending a small fortune on back issues of catalogs that tell them when something was made (their computer files don't go much past 2000) and what details a potential fake might be missing.

And to make it worse, the info on their computers is very limited - they can look up a style number of most recent full-price items and tell you when they were made and what colors were available. But the full-price stores' computers don't have records of the Made-For-Factory items at all, so any item made for and bought from the outlet won't even be in their system. When told that they can't find it on their computers, the person who brought the item in naturally assumes it must be fake.

And if it has a legit style number - let's use the Big Daddy of Fakes, NT-4903 as an example. If someone brings a fake with that number into a store and the personnel punch in the style number it comes up as a Sonoma Flap bag. So the number's in the system and it must be real? But the store personnel may have never seen that style bag since it's 15 years old and they don't realize that it isn't a Sonoma Flap and doesn't look anything like one. The computer has no information at all on the prefix, which can't be looked up for any item (the prefix is where all the factory codes are). The fact that N isn't a valid month code, T isn't a valid plant code, and there's no year code at all between the two letters means absolutely nothing to their computer.

So because of no training and no effective computer records, my estimate would be that from what I've seen or read in these forums by posters who have already gone through this kind of experience, at least 80 percent of items taken to a Coach store are misidentified, and almost always it's genuine bags especially older classic leather bags or bags from the outlet stores being ID'd as fakes. So buyers unfairly accuse sellers of selling fakes, honest sellers get claims filed against them for refunds, maybe receive negative Feedback, dinged stars, and may lose some of their discounts or have their fees raised and even get put on listing restrictions. And many of them did nothing wrong.

It's even worse by phone. If the store employees can at least see the bag, how is someone at the other end of a blind phone line supposed to be any more accurate? Even if she knew as much as some of our Ebay Coachies, she's still literally working blind without being able to examine the item. What's even more disturbing is that employees who are unable to effectively authenticate anything still keep doing it, especially when Coach's website clearly says "Coach DOES NOT authenticate merchandise or determine whether serial numbers match actual Coach items" So why doesn't Coach enforce that rule?

I'm sorry to have to say it, but one of the worst places anyone should ever have any Coach authenticated is a Coach store. And thinking that a style name given over the phone by an employee who just punches 4 or 5 numbers into a computer is a valid authentication is just wishful thinking. "

and the Daria48 Coach Fake Numbers List, first posted at the old Ebay Shoes and Purses forum about 10 years ago and has been kept up to date by Daria48 ever since:

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Fake-Coach-Serial-Numbers-NT-4903-and-more-/10000000002744619/g.html

Refering to D*J- serial prefixes

"D2J-  serial number prefixes whenever they're part of a creed stamp that says the bag was made in the US. That code sequence was ONLY used for bags made in a Chinese plant, never an American one. And ALL serial prefixes with J as the third digit and a "Made in the US" creed need to be carefully authenticated, since the "J" plant in the US originally made only clothing items."

The only D6J- serial prefix currently listed on Ebay is for a suede jacket. Clothing plants did NOT make purses and the only valid D6J- creeds meaning made in the J plant in April 1996 are in leather or suede jackets. (BTW, I have several photos in my own files of GENUINE jackets and coats with that D6J- prefix if youd like me to post those, or you can look for "Coach D6J-0964 Brown Suede Coat" right here on Ebay)

Now, if you want to post AN ACTUAL PHOTO OF THE PURSE with that serial number, front, back, side and creed and serial number stamp, Ill be happy to tell you what else is wrong with it. Or you could do a Google Search for "coach D6J serial prefix" and post the link to the Google search page here and I can explain exactly why the information posted on the largest purseforum on the internet about that prefix belonging only to a clothing plant is correct, and more importantly why EVERY "Coach" that comes up in the same search with that serial prefix is fake including the red leather backpack that wasnt even INTRODUCED until nine years AFTER that April 1996 date code stamped inside it.

If you are honest enough to want the truth, POST PHOTOS. 

"On the Internet, no one knows if youre a dog.
EVERYONE knows if youre an idiot."
Message 18 of 36
latest reply

I did post photos.  And I've read a lot of stuff.  Seems like this board may be the only place to get a bag authenticated.  But some of you are a bit harsh, I think.  Like this last sentence stings a bit....

Message 19 of 36
latest reply

@cobalt50 wrote:

I did post photos.  And I've read a lot of stuff.  Seems like this board may be the only place to get a bag authenticated.  But some of you are a bit harsh, I think.  Like this last sentence stings a bit....

This is the internet. Sometimes its hard to tell for sure whether someone is honest or dishonest just by what they post.

Regarding whether or not a purse or other Coach bag is authentic, weve seen dozens of posters in this very forum who insisit that their removed item is absolutely genuine but who wont back up what they say with photos. Often they just vanish into thin air ESPECIALLY if one of the regulars here manages to track down photos of the item in question and can prove to the other experts satisfaction that the item really IS fake. The burden of proof is on the seller of the questionable item in Ebays eyes and thats the only way it can be. 

There is one other purseforum where you can get answers from acknowledged experts but Ebay doesnt allow links to, or even mentions of, other internet forums beisdes this one. We cant even mention names in private messages through the Ebay system. But most people who want to learn about certain brands and need a place to ask questions usually manage to find it eventually. Google in this case is your friend

BTW, if you havent already found my reply in your other post about the "Beekman" - which absolutely IS counterfeit, sorry -  I hope youll read it. If youd like clarification of any of the points I brought up, just ask in that thread where you posted the photos.

Message 20 of 36
latest reply

Thanks for all your time and comments.  I don't always have time to become an expert in any particular field because I sell so much misc. on eBay.  I've been selling for other people since 1999 and used to deal only with antiques and collectibles.  These days, in order to help people, I take in just about anything.  I return what I don't sell and I don't buy anythying....I just list it and if it sells, great, and if not they come and pick it up.

Seems designer items are very tricky, but I know where to come if I have any mre questions.

Thanks for taking the time to talk to me.

Message 21 of 36
latest reply

Good luck with your endeavors and don't let one persons harsh comment upset your spirit. Having a heart in today's modern world does not make for an easy life. 

Message 22 of 36
latest reply

@enabus_0 wrote:

Good luck with your endeavors and don't let one persons harsh comment upset your spirit. Having a heart in today's modern world does not make for an easy life. 

@enabus_0 - I'm not sure who you refer to as the "one person" who made a harsh comment but you are so wrong. 

Although the title implies that the OP listed an authentic item, it was counterfeit and knowingly or not, the OP violated ebay policy as well as US trademark law by listing a fake. 

Those of us who volunteer countless hours of OUR OWN FREE TIME and freely offer our expertise are here to help. We aren't here to coddle or comfort a seller who is upset because ebay did the right thing in restricting listings when said seller posted fakes! 

While you may not like the way we express ourselves, cutting to the chase and not mincing words, we are respectful and honest. 

Again, we don't have to help and we could have just watched the OP list fakes in the future, possibly resulting in a permanent suspension. Personally, should I ever list a fake and be chastised by posters, I'll take the "harsh comments" of those who know what they're talking about over those who only offer comfort but nothing else substantial. 

albertabrightalberta

Message 23 of 36
latest reply

My comment was to the OP regarding a comment THEY found harsh. It was not to you or anyone else. I made no reference to any particular comment or person. I made no reference to the actual situation or otherwise.  It is unfair to jump on me for wishing a person well. Sure maybe they broke the rules knowingly or unknowingly but that doesn't mean they can't have their feelings about it. And it certainly does not give you a right to jump all over me. I don't have a dog in the hunt I was just being a decent human being today so if you'd like to continue on a self righteous path of beating me l, an innocent down, then do so if you must. Just don't expect me to not have my say in return when I was NOT speaking to you in the first place. 

Message 24 of 36
latest reply

Ebay is notorious for this with certain higher end coach bags. My firm belief that someone (seller) with the Ebay Community or the Coach Community are trying to either (1) keep them off the market because these older vintage Coach bags are so much better in quality than the new ones they make or (2) they are trying to drive the price for these bags up.  I was told the Ebay “back room” pulls the listings. This happens allot with the 9085 and 9953 bags.

Then they tell you to take them to a Coach Store to get the bag “authenticated”.  Today I was told in an email that the Item was pulled because of the “Legal Authorities”. This is particularly troubling when you bought the bag on Ebay. This is fishy and Ebay is operating in bad faith. What they are doing is illegal.

Message 25 of 36
latest reply

Photos don’t do any good....

Ebay is notorious for this with certain higher end coach bags. My firm belief that someone (seller) with the Ebay Community or the Coach Community are trying to either (1) keep them off the market because these older vintage Coach bags are so much better in quality than the new ones they make or (2) they are trying to drive the price for these bags up.  I was told the Ebay “back room” pulls the listings. This happens allot with the 9085 and 9953 bags.

Then they tell you to take them to a Coach Store to get the bag “authenticated”.  Today I was told in an email that the Item was pulled because of the “Legal Authorities”. This is particularly troubling when you bought the bag on Ebay. This is fishy and Ebay is operating in bad faith. What they are doing is illegal.

Message 26 of 36
latest reply

Message 27 of 36
latest reply

@pinesparjohn wrote:

@pinesparjohn

It'd be better if you were to start your own thread. 

I did a bit of digging after you commented on 9053 and 9085 and was able to find some (cached) listings you'd posted for bags with those style numbers. 

In the listings, your bags had serial numbers as J8Y-9085 and J8Y-9053. Am I correct? 

albertabrightalberta

Message 28 of 36
latest reply

@pinesparjohn wrote:

I was told the Ebay “back room” pulls the listings. This happens allot with the 9085 and 9953 bags. 

Are you aware of how highly faked those styles are? 

@pinesparjohn wrote:

trying to either (1) keep them off the market because these older vintage Coach bags are so much better in quality than the new ones they make  

Do you really think ebay cares how many Helen's Legacy or Duffel sacs are listed? Or how many "new ones" are out there? 

If bags are authentic, they're allowed on ebay no matter how many or how few there are. 

If you were to post pictures and the bags were deemed to be pulled in error, i.e., they were authentic and shouldn't have been pulled, we can advise on how to go about appealing the removal. 

But to say that pictures won't help is nonsense. 

albertabrightalberta

Message 29 of 36
latest reply

@pinesparjohn wrote:

Your "firm beliefs" arent facts. There are some people who "firmly believe" theres no such thing as Climate Change leading to rising sea levels while ignoring the fact that even the US Navy understands that surface facilities of many of their naval bases will be partly underwater within the next hundred years. While youre entitled to your own opinion, youre not entitled to your own facts. Believing something doesnt make it real or wed be tripping over millions of Santa Clauses and Tooth Fairies. In this case your "belief" is wrong and not backed up by any facts or even any logic. Coach doesnt give a fat rats patoot if people buy older Coaches, thats not their market. And Ebay has better things to do than spend time and money pulling listings for genuine purses, especially since they just permanently laid off 300 employees in the US within the last month or two to cut second quarter expenses, with more layoffs worldwide expected according to many sources.

Coach tells everyone right on their website that they DONT authenticate, so why would Ebay send anyone to a Coach store? The word of a store employee isnt considered a valid authentication by Ebay anyway. Read the previous posts in this thread. If you choose not to believe what weve already posted in the last year here, thats your choice but that doesnt make your disbelief The New Reality.

If the "authentic Coaches" alberta referred to had J8Y- serial number prefixes, theyre fake. PERIOD. Coach never used "Y" as a plant code for purses or other leather accessories like briefcases. And like alberta said, we could probably find other problems with them if we had a full set of photos. If youre not willing to post them, thats your decision. 

Message 30 of 36
latest reply