cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aetrex shoes tradmark violation. Is this legitimate?

I received this email from a 0 feedback user who has been a member for less than a year. 

"It has come to our attention that you are selling Aetrex?s trademarked products on third-party websites such as but not limited to Amazon, Walmart, eBay, and Google Shopping or any private website without the express permission by Aetrex. We are notifying you that you are in VIOLATION with Federal Trademark and unfair competition laws protecting our products. Aetrex, a Teaneck, NJ company, is PUTTING YOU ON NOTICE to stop selling our Federally Trademarked products on third-party websites such as but not limited to Amazon, Walmart, eBay, and Google Shopping or any private website without the express permission by Aetrex, which is causing confusion, and harming our brand. You have 5 days to remove all of our products sold by you on any 3rd party marketplace website, or private website without the company?s permission, or we will be forced to pursue all legal remedies available to us under Federal Trademark and unfair competition laws."

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Aetrex shoes tradmark violation. Is this legitimate?

Or it could be someone who works for the company and just doesn't want their items sold on ebay.

It's not infringement, illegal or immoral to resell items unless the items are illegal per ebay's disallowed items policy.

They are trying to scare you OP and you don't even have to reply.

If they file a VeRO report that results in a takedown, you can respond to it but if the VeRO reps abuse the policy by performing illegal takedowns, they risk loss of their VeRO status. (Note that any rights holder can apply as VeRO; they don't need to have an ebay account. But as VeRO, there are procedures to follow to get listings removed and trying to bully a seller by contacting them through a listing isn't proper protocol.)

Another thing some companies do is hire what I refer to as "shark law firms." These are real law firms where they make deals with companies and share the money they're successful in extorting from sellers.

What they do is work on the assumption that many sellers don't know their products and accuse those sellers of selling fakes. But for $300 (or $500, 600, or some amount of money), they will drop their lawsuit once you pay them off and end your listings.

Some sellers truly assume they have fakes and in order to avoid what they perceive as expensive lawsuits, they pay.

But for sellers who know that they're selling authentic items and fight them, the law firm eventually goes away and picks on someone else.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

IIRC any true Vero Member will send Ebay a letter to end your listing. Then you get an actual email from Ebay with the Vero violation.

Others will be along shortly to give you advice.

@albertabrightalberta 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

First sale doctrine gives you the right to resell it as long as it's authentic and obtained legally.

Unless you have a contractual agreement with the manufacturer which you've signed and agreed not to resell on third party websites, you aren't bound by their nonsense claiming "unfair competition laws protecting our products." And the federal trademark violation claim is also nonsense since they aren't claiming you're selling fakes and aren't questioning authenticity.

If you feel inclined to respond, include a link to the law:
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/the-first-sale-doctrine.html

Copy and paste this part:
"Every day, millions of consumers make use of the first sale doctrine. This copyright doctrine permits the purchaser of a legal copy of a copyrighted work to treat that copy in any way he or she desires, as long as the copyright owner’s exclusive copyright rights are not infringed. This means the copy can be destroyed, sold, given away, or rented."
albertabrightalberta

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

That is fantastic information. Thank you so much for that! 

This is the second time that I have received an email from a user claiming to represent a company. The last time it was someone claiming to be from "Barefoot Dreams". They offer no proof of their affiliation with the company that they claim to represent but want me to take down my listings.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta 

This is the part that throws me: "I received this email from a 0 feedback user who has been a member for less than a year."

That is clearly not a Vero message from ebay. Sounds like a competitor to me. Thoughts?

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Or it could be someone who works for the company and just doesn't want their items sold on ebay.

It's not infringement, illegal or immoral to resell items unless the items are illegal per ebay's disallowed items policy.

They are trying to scare you OP and you don't even have to reply.

If they file a VeRO report that results in a takedown, you can respond to it but if the VeRO reps abuse the policy by performing illegal takedowns, they risk loss of their VeRO status. (Note that any rights holder can apply as VeRO; they don't need to have an ebay account. But as VeRO, there are procedures to follow to get listings removed and trying to bully a seller by contacting them through a listing isn't proper protocol.)

Another thing some companies do is hire what I refer to as "shark law firms." These are real law firms where they make deals with companies and share the money they're successful in extorting from sellers.

What they do is work on the assumption that many sellers don't know their products and accuse those sellers of selling fakes. But for $300 (or $500, 600, or some amount of money), they will drop their lawsuit once you pay them off and end your listings.

Some sellers truly assume they have fakes and in order to avoid what they perceive as expensive lawsuits, they pay.

But for sellers who know that they're selling authentic items and fight them, the law firm eventually goes away and picks on someone else.

albertabrightalberta

Message 6 of 6
latest reply