cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reostate-Dimmer

Can any one give me some information this Reostate-DimmerLogo # 8.jpgTop # 6.jpgBack # 1.jpg as to how old, any value and is the cover baker light

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Reostate-Dimmer

repairelectronics
Trailblazer
It's not a rheostat but rather a multi-tap transformer speed control for a ceiling fan. These are not really that old maybe 25 years or so. Have you tried the bakelite test? it could be Catalin.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thank you for responding.

I don't how to test for bakelight. Do you think this has any value

Thanks 

Anthony

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

In my opinion, I don't think it's worth much and It doesn't seem old enough to be a collector's item. Tho it could be as the nameplate ratings are in fairly old terms that I haven't seen in several decades which can definitely date a man. Sweep 56 inch, 110 V.A.C., 50/60 CYC.
Your controller is called a step transformer speed control, they were nothing special and primarily used because of the higher amp loads of larger fans back then and also they didn't inject all the line noise and hum into nearby electronics (radios) like early dimmers were notoriously known for.
Also, just google "bakelite test"

Here is one I found that is quite a bit newer than what you have.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-CHADWICK-CEILING-FAN-WALL-5-SPEED-MOTOR-CONTROL-NEW-OLD-STOCK/23351...
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thank You your information was very helpful.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply