cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential bidder asking for IMEI number?

A potential bidder has just emailed me asking for the IMEI number of the phone I have up for auction. Isn't that the number used to unlock it? Are they checking to see if it's stolen? That's just info you don't need unless you win the auction - which of course they'll find out when they get it anyway.

So why would they want it? Any ideas?

Message 1 of 185
latest reply
184 REPLIES 184

Re: Potential bidder asking for IMEI number?

Oh, wait. I just read your user name, finders keepers. Did you FIND this phone? If so, you should return it. Either turn it in to police or contact the service provider to return it through them. Or else check to see if the owner's info is on it, or if they have an ICE number in their contacts list and call that person (ICE = In Case of Emergency). Had the thief who kept my phone had done that, I would have given him a reward. (And the person who has my phone lives in my small apartment building.) At the very least you should get the SIM card to them!

BTW, if you "keep" something you "found" that has a certain value, depending on location, you ARE guilty of theft and can be charged with stealing it. Doesn't matter if you found it in the street or in somebody's bag, it's still theft.

Message 91 of 185
latest reply

I don't think they're saying eBay should require them to post the actual IMEI number. Just that the phone will pass the checks in place.I wasn't really aware of the importance of the IMEI number until my phone was stolen last week.

Message 92 of 185
latest reply

You should really give your entire SS# and your mother's maiden name! Just kidding. Don't anybody reading this do this! 

Message 93 of 185
latest reply

You know there's a site called IMEIexchange that does this right? The seller can enter their IMEI# and the site will give a reference code and verify if the phone works on the network and whether it's blacklisted or not. The buyer just enters the reference code on the site and checks if it's good to go. If the buyer refuses to do even this, they're probably hiding something lol

Message 94 of 185
latest reply

Message 95 of 185
latest reply

I just listed my iPhone 6 and started getting requests for the IMEI number (as well as several offers to purchase ouside of eBay - ugh). I ended up registering on Swappa.com and using their esn checker.  Swappa will create a link to share the results without sharing the esn or any important numbers. That combined with my eBay feedback and rating should be good enough for most bidders, especially if your just trying to sell your personal phone and not in the business of selling these devices on eBay.

I'm more worried about someone buying the phone at a jacked up bid price, doing something to it and then returning it for a refund. That seems to be the larger concern here for sellers vs buyers with smartphone transactions on eBay...

Message 96 of 185
latest reply

But whatnis the point of buying a phone and THEN finding out it was stolen and blacklisted... there is no point in that. Its literally just giving away money. 

Message 97 of 185
latest reply

Well it turns the winning bidder of my iPhone attempted to scam me so the IMEI never even became an issue. The winning bidder had created the account today and had 0 feedback. There is nothing I could do about that. Then the winner messaged me to ask if I could send a request for payment from PayPal instead of using eBay. I spent the rest of the day on the phone with eBay customer service, got the bidders account removed and then had to relist the iPhone. I can only hope I get a real bidder this time but it points out the amount of fraud going on with these devices on eBay and it's exactly why I would never release any numbers on my phone. Instead I used the apple website verification tool, look a screenshot, blurred out the IMEI number and posted that with the images of my phone. EBAY said: Do Not give out those numbers when asked because the people asking are usually up to no good and the buyer protection policy should be good enough for the auction.

Message 98 of 185
latest reply

If someone sells an Apple ID-locked phone on eBay, it's trivial to complain to eBay and get a refund. There is very little risk to the buyer in this case. Giving out the IMEI poses risk, however small, so why do it if you have a good rating and feedback score? As I just learned - there is plenty of risk to seller. Here is a different take I read this issue:

"If I'm a bad guy with a stolen phone and I want to trick people into buying it, what do I do? I go and find someone with a legitimate phone and ask for their IMEI under the guise of making sure their phone isn't stolen. I now have a valid IMEI that I can use whenever someone asks for the IMEI to the stolen phone I'm selling."

So no, don't give out that number and don't show it any pictures of the phone. Why do you think they keep all the phones in the back at the Apple and Carrier stores? 

Message 99 of 185
latest reply

reelize_films wrote:

"If I'm a bad guy with a stolen phone and I want to trick people into buying it, what do I do? I go and find someone with a legitimate phone and ask for their IMEI under the guise of making sure their phone isn't stolen. I now have a valid IMEI that I can use whenever someone asks for the IMEI to the stolen phone I'm selling." 

If you think about it from a scammer's perspective, this isn't a good way to carry out the scam. Ebay is very buyer-friendly, and this likely wouldn't be successful at all.  As soon as the buyer receives the actual phone, and sees that the IMEI/ESN listed in the auction does not match the phone, they have only to file an SNAD complaint and return it for a full refund. That seller would be banned after just a couple of times of attempting this.

As for why they keep the new phones in the back of a retail store, why does any store keep inventory in the back? Organization, storage needs, overstock, theft prevention, etc. If the IMEI/ESN number was such a point of security, they wouldn't print it on the outside of the box, in barcode & numerical form.

If it makes you feel safer as a seller, sure, post a link to an IMEI/ESN checker like Swappa does. It's all really moot, though. The real problem with selling used phones is a phone company's ability to blacklist a phone because someone defaulted on a contract agreement or payment plan. That's not something one can easily check for, and if you don't know the history of the phone you're selling , it can mean your perfectly functioning used phone unexpectedly becomes a fancy paperweight a month and a half after it's sold. And, as usual, sellers are always at risk of buyers trying to scam them using SNAD returns.  

It just isn't safe to buy or sell used phones, unless the came from a trusted, personal source. Period.

Message 100 of 185
latest reply

I agree and you highlight my main point: eBay is buyer friendly and as a seller I offer the 14 day refund as well – and this is why I don't see a need to give out the numbers. I also agree that selling phones on eBay is probably a bad idea and next time I'll just do the trade in or use a site like swappa instead. Of all the categories I've sold items in on eBay, the smartphone section has been the worst by far based on the number of messages I've received during and after the auction that violate policy or are just plain threatening. Be careful out there eBay members!

Message 101 of 185
latest reply

So - I sold a parts only - not working - irrepairable phone that was dropped in water - and it was acurately described as such on EBAY - and after the sale - the buyer requests the IMEI number - but has not paid for the phone yet. I would not give it to him until he paid for phone - so he is threatening to cancel the purchase. After reading all these posts - I am assuming once he gets the IMEI number - he will NOT pay for the phone anyway - cause they want to clone the number. Am I correct? After all - selling a dead phone is actuall just selling the selling the IMEI number anyway......unless someone can re-use the glass and other parts - am I correct here?

Thanks - Rick

Message 102 of 185
latest reply

I managed to sell mine without giving out the number but iPhone sales on eBay are dicey (as buyer or seller) and you should be careful. If you have a good rating the buyer can still get a refund so I would just wait for payment or relist until you can sell it safely. I had to relist once to sell mine as the first buyer wanted to pay outside of eBay...
Message 103 of 185
latest reply

No, asking for the IMEI number is fine. The buyer wants to check that it's not stolen or iCloud locked. Even if it's dead now it might be repairable, but there's no point trying if it's barred or iCloud locked. Give him the number.

Read above - you cannot clone an iPhone from an IMEI number.

Message 104 of 185
latest reply

If may all sound safe... But there is a cloning risk. From Symantec:

Why do scammers need the IMEI number?
A device with a blacklisted IMEI is unusable in that country. There is no restriction on having the same IMEI number for two devices. So, scammers can simply steal the number from other users who have valid or working IMEIs and copy it to the stolen device. Scammers can then use the stolen device or even sell it.

How are scammers stealing IMEIs?
Scammers have been creating phishing sites that make the claim that a free one-year warranty extension for a certain mobile device or devices is available. To obtain the (fake) offer, users are asked to provide their device information, including serial number, IMEI number, type of phone, and so on.

Message 105 of 185
latest reply