cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does a buyer have to open a case and request a refund, lost items?

I have been selling phones through craigslist for a few years and decided to become more active on Ebay. I am beginning to think I should end selling on ebay because the seller protection sucks against lying buyers.

How long does a buyer have to file a dispute for a phone after receiving it? Is it really 45 days from what i have been reading???!!!!! Anything could go wrong with technology after a few days of being purchased. "knock on wood" Now I am scared to list anything here again. Ebay has been making $800 a month in fees from me, it might not seem much to some but I have had returns that absolutely had no issues and buyers just wanted a refund.

Please tell me 45 days is wrong. More like 7 days to file a claim would be perfect this is ridiculous.

Another question that I have is, How can you file a claim for a phone that goes missing from the postal office. I always ship everything with insurance and signature confirmation but what do they require the seller to confirm the price of the phone? Everything that I buy is straight off good ol craigslist and i do not get any receipts for anything obviously.

Message 1 of 205
latest reply
204 REPLIES 204

Re: How long does a buyer have to open a case and request a refund, lost items?

Dear Sir

I have had very few problems with items purchased through ebay, but recently I had such a problem.

I bought an external hard drive which didn't work as expected (it wouldn't accept large files, even if it was fine with small ones). I tried fixing it, but was unable to.

I took time off a busy schedule (which is one of the reasons I normally use ebay) to go to the post office and returned the item. The seller didn't acknowledge receipt until I asked directly and, even then, said they were going to check the disk. 

I purchased the disk in mid-September. Mid-October I still haven't got my money back. I am not questioning the seller's integrity and find everything so far within reason (even if inconvenient), but only because we are still within the 45-day period for a claim. If my money is not returned soon, I will file a claim.

In short, I think 45 days is not excessive, judging by my experience.

Message 166 of 205
latest reply

The problem is sometimes things get "lost" in the post. The seller asks you to wait while they investigate and they will try to push it for 45 days so that they get away with it. They try other tactics with missing parts- promising that they will send it and then just forgot. The truth is, you get bad sellers and buyers. There's no real win win situation. But it's not fair if a seller doesn't receive an item (or just gets an empty box) and has to pay for it. I haven't sold much on eBay but I've had more luck selling than buying 

@qualityforlessells wrote:

I think I am out from selling on Ebay. I dont know if its just that i have had bad luck lately but i have had to refund 4 buyers. Now today I received a message from a seller that purchased a phone 2 weeks ago saying that the phone is bad imei. He said that he contacted Verizon and they told him that the phone is pending activation. Does this make sense? I checked online at checkesnfree and it clearly shows that the esn is clear. Im going nuts with this. And 45 days is way too long for anyone to file a claim item not as described thats a whole lot of Bull on ebays part. I think 2 weeks should be tops for brand new items and at least 30 days for used no more simple as that. Im not liking you ebay do you hear me!!!!

Message 167 of 205
latest reply

45 days is good. I sometimes order things from China/Hongkong/Korea and it takes about 15-35 days for items to get here, but sometimes longer. If you set a maximum time limit of say 30 days I will have to report things missing  before 30 days has expired. Since I cannot go checking ebay every day I will have to report things as not received after about 25 days just so not to miss that possibility. That will force me to report things as not received even though they will probably get here.  

And then when they arrive I will have to try to contact the seller and pay him or her. What a mess that would be!

Message 168 of 205
latest reply

I agree that 45 days is about right for US and US/Canada purchases. However 45 days is too short when a Canadian buys something from China (not ePacket). I am up to 43 days right now on an item. I will have to file a claim in the next two days.only to have it show up at the 50 day mark.
Message 169 of 205
latest reply

its very fair especially in my case. I order from out of the country and there is no way that i can do anything when it takes 25 days to get items. SO to me its fair especially when some sellers out of the country isnt true to what they are selling.

Message 170 of 205
latest reply

I had

Message 171 of 205
latest reply

You should always check your emails.

Message 172 of 205
latest reply

The best thing to do is list your phone to be sold  "as is, as described and as pictured. There is no return and no refund". Put in plenty of pictures and do not accept refunds. Buyers are getting bold now, returning everything. I have had more returns since Ebay extended the time to 45 days. I can't deal with it either. Sellers should have more protection! I am not accepting any returns for any reason anymore, it does not pay! If you sell a moving item, take pictures of the item working and put them on youtube with a link in your listing to show it works.

Message 173 of 205
latest reply

This is to ALL people reading this thread, not just the person whom I am (supposedly) replying to.

Do you realize that shipments from China / Hong Kong / Taiwan REGULARLY take anywhere between four and eight weeks to arrive to e.g. northern Europe? In the Christmas time, a three month delivery is nothing unheard of. I honestly think that shortening the complaint period from 90 to 45 days was the worst change eBay has ever made, and that's saying a lot.

For example, at this moment (2. Feb. 2017), I am waiting for (among many others) three items bought and paid on 7. Dec. 2016 and two items from 10. Dec. That's 57 and 54 days, respectively, and I'm not even slightly worried yet.

Ergo, if you have problems with some 'tards complaining about used items weeks after receiving them, mark your listing as 'sold as is, no returns or refunds'! Shortening the complaint period will not help you at all, but will make buying/selling on eBay a rather tedious venture for all the rest of us.

Message 174 of 205
latest reply

Well at present I have a buyer who bought my sons 1tb xbox one and now states it was only a 500mb  I know it wasn't I bought it for him. He's spent the money he made on his new computer. Now the buyer wants to send it back with a full refund. I don't have the money to refund. I'm so helpless. Hate this. Won't sell again on eBay.  He's had it 30 days now and only messaged me last night about it. 

Message 175 of 205
latest reply

You have just found out that eBay considers all sellers as a billion dollar corporation, your retail theft/fraud is just part of doing business.

Remember PayPal can take your money for up to 180 days and some credit cards for a full year after purchase.

Never sell anything here if you need money, this fraudster/buyer will now cost you more money as you will be forced to send him a prepaid return shipping label if it has been less than 30 days of receipt.
Message 176 of 205
latest reply

Let's not forget, not every buyer can get their item in 20 days mine is usually a month or more. From what you're saying I need to file item not received because 20 days max?

Message 177 of 205
latest reply

A buyer cannot file a claim against you if USPS loses the item. They can of course but it should go nowhere. Yes buyers lie. Refund their money and block them so they can't do it again. When the item is scanned by carrier at delivery, it's been delivered. Tracking info is recorded. End of story.

Message 178 of 205
latest reply

@banana0016 wrote:

Let's not forget, not every buyer can get their item in 20 days mine is usually a month or more. From what you're saying I need to file item not received because 20 days max?

Let us also not forget that eBay's 30-day MBG clock doesn't start until after the actual delivery date or eBay's last estimated delivery date, whichever comes first.

It is Paypal's 180-day return policy that starts at the actual purchase date. However, with you being in another country it can make returning an item somewhat expensive to meet the online tracking requirements.
Message 179 of 205
latest reply

Had a lying buyer too and eBay sided with them, makes me want to not sell here either. They need to be fair on both sides, not just the sellers. Or they won't have items for buyers to bid on.
Message 180 of 205
latest reply