cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does a buyer have to open a case and request a refund, lost items?

I have been selling phones through craigslist for a few years and decided to become more active on Ebay. I am beginning to think I should end selling on ebay because the seller protection sucks against lying buyers.

How long does a buyer have to file a dispute for a phone after receiving it? Is it really 45 days from what i have been reading???!!!!! Anything could go wrong with technology after a few days of being purchased. "knock on wood" Now I am scared to list anything here again. Ebay has been making $800 a month in fees from me, it might not seem much to some but I have had returns that absolutely had no issues and buyers just wanted a refund.

Please tell me 45 days is wrong. More like 7 days to file a claim would be perfect this is ridiculous.

Another question that I have is, How can you file a claim for a phone that goes missing from the postal office. I always ship everything with insurance and signature confirmation but what do they require the seller to confirm the price of the phone? Everything that I buy is straight off good ol craigslist and i do not get any receipts for anything obviously.

Message 1 of 205
latest reply
204 REPLIES 204

Re: How long does a buyer have to open a case and request a refund, lost items?

and what to do if in the trackind id I got not dellivered yet (it is still in transit)?

Enroute to Carrier's Depot

2016-01-20, 04:23:48, 深圳市

Processing shipment

2016-01-20, 00:26:01, 深圳市

Acceptance

2016-01-19, 20:38:30, 深圳市

does the chinese selers send wrong tracking id numbers ?

I contacted seller (wisstech) and answered me that he shipped the second replacement item on Feb 12, 2016 and that it could take 25-45 working days, but the first wrong item I received after 13 working days and from the second shipping is away 18 working days allready

I would appreciate any sugestion or help what to do? Thx.

Message 151 of 205
latest reply

@mrobo1974 wrote:

and what to do if in the trackind id I got not dellivered yet (it is still in transit)?

I buy from China from time to time but do so as if buying a lottery ticket, if I win great if not I just toss it, fortunately I have never had a problem.

Most Chinese tracking numbers don't seem to work outside of China - for my low dollar purchases anyways. If your tracking number did not show delivered by March 2nd you could of opened an "item not received" case and got a quick refund when the seller couldn't prove delivery.

Since an eBay return is out and PayPal your only option, and while waiting until the 18th. which is the last day for you to give honest feedback you may want to check how much it will cost you to ship the defective item back with online tracking. You can always revise feedback if the item does show up.

If you in fact paid with PayPal you have 180 days from Jan18th. to file a case with them, again assuming that the same rules apply to your country as the USA. 

Message 152 of 205
latest reply

@mrobo1974 wrote:

I contacted seller (****tech) and answered me that he shipped the second replacement item on Feb 12, 2016 and that it could take 25-45 working days, but the first wrong item I received after 13 working days and from the second shipping is away 18 working days allready

Future advice: It is highly recommended on the discussion forums to never accept a replacement in lieu of a refund.

Never allow the 30 days from delivery to pass without a refund or working item - no matter what the seller promises, get your money back first then repurchase your item if need be.

These people are experts at social engineering and eBay rules, they can even talk you out of your birthday suit.
Message 153 of 205
latest reply

wait...so why do they hold paypal funds for 3 days after delivery for new buyers? I thought the reason they did that was so the buyer had time to dispute the transaction if need be
Message 154 of 205
latest reply

It's neither your luck nor is it eBay. The problem is the type of product you are selling, phones. They are often a tricky item to sell and customers often find multiple reasons to be unsatisfied with their phones, seems many take them very seriously and are very picky about them.

Message 155 of 205
latest reply

45 days is too long. they should cut it to 7-14 days

Message 156 of 205
latest reply

Hello there, I have bought two items froms different sellers and I did not received it, opened a case, they both told me they are sending items again, then, nothing happened. One responded like "wait a week more" "another week more", other did not respond at all.. Its about 6 months to payment. Do I have any chance to get my money back?

Message 157 of 205
latest reply

If eBay were to change the policy, they would need to make it a specified number of days from delivery instead of from payment date. And/or correlate to ship date from seller. I have large logistics intensive items that are not received 30 days after payment in spite of both buyer and seller making regular progress on shipment and delivery. You probably need more conditions in your description that correlate to your return policy.

Message 158 of 205
latest reply

You got that right, I sold about 200 phones a few years back and I had nothing but problems, I collected a bunch of defects because I disagreed with most buyers complaints. They will try anything to get the phones for a discounted price. What happens is they buy yours and 10 others all at the same time. Then they pick through them and just return the ones that aren't as good of a deal as they might get, but it never ends, they will keep buying them whenever a cheaper one is listed and they just keep returning them as the prices drop over time. Each time they will just find something wrong with it to make the sellers pay for their return shipping. That was a while ago when ebay wasn't worried about how buyers were doing business here. They have tightened the belt a bit now and won't let buyers repeatedly do returns over and over without noticing it. but it does still happen to some extent.
Message 159 of 205
latest reply

I am glad its 45 days but then again I am a buyer, I've had sellers tell me every day after 40 days "don't worry it will be there", then as soon as the 45 day mark hits and i can no longer file a complaint... the seller no longer returns my messages and i lose out. so now as soon as the 44th day hits i file a complaint regardless what the seller says, but really, what other than "yes sir your item is on the way" can an eBay sellers say to reassure the buyer their item is in fact on the way? And their have been the rare occasion when filing a complaint, a few days after the seller gives me a refund, the item arrives and YES despite the fact you don't believe me I do contact eBay, the seller and pay pal and inform them of the arrival, after which the seller and I set up the same transaction and i pay, and believe me, you sellers are always surprised when i do that, and why the hell not, you sent out what i wanted and i got it, so you should get your money to.

yes I understand their are a lot of shady characters out there but understand limiting the file a complaint option is only going to start a trend of **bleep**py sellers who know that it will take 2-6 weeks for delivery, and you guys wanna limit the time to open a "i didn't get my item" option to only 14 days?!?!

I use to go on eBay a year ago and look for brand spanking new sellers who just opened a seller account and have AMAZING deals on 32 and 64 GB micro SD cards. guess how many sellers i bought one from, waited the 44 days, then opened a complaint and pointed out to eBay that at this point the new seller was racking up a ton of "didn't get my item" complaints? I always got my money back and those sellers are gone... well, under THAT name anyways. guess... just guess how many times i did that.

Their will always be shady sellers and shady buyers, that's why we need to look at peoples scores, check mine!! not a single gawd dam bad mark against me. those are the kind of sellers you should be selling to if you want a good sale, don't be money hungry and sell to just anyone and hope and pray the deal dosen't go bad. maybe THAT'S the tactic we should be employing, not limiting the "item not received" option to the minimal time it takes for something to arrive, that's ridiculous!!

of course i could be wrong, I did just wake up.

BTW: this is my very first post in the eBay forums, though ive bout hundreds of items off eBay in the past 5 years or so, nice to meet you all Cat Happy

Message 160 of 205
latest reply

BTW: If you guys wanna restrict the "item not received" option to 14 days I'm cool with that... but, If my item does not arrive on the 13th day your darn tootin I'll WILL open a "item not received, request refund" complaint. and if the item arrives as displayed anytime after that i will contact you, eBay and pay pal about it and be sure if i have already received a refund to pay you that money back, that's if, you guys are cool with that arrangement.

EDIT: how do i edit post instead of doing quick reply?
Message 161 of 205
latest reply

You only have a few minutes to edit a post before it disappears under the "Options" link in lower left corner.
Message 162 of 205
latest reply

You are replying to a post that is over 4 years old, most of the information in has not applied for some time now.

You can open an Item Not Received (INR) case the day after the last expected delivery date eBay gave on the auction page before you buy.

With eBay's MBG, You can open a defective item case up to 30 day after the actual receipt of the item, regardless of how long it took to get to you. The seller will even pay the return shipping.

With PayPal you can open a defective item case up to 180 days after purchase date but you will have to pay return shipping.

Both eBay's & PayPal's MBGs supersedes any seller return policies. The link is on every eBay auction listing -
http://pages.ebay.com/ebay-money-back-guarantee/
Message 163 of 205
latest reply

It is 45 days time to open a case becuase items coming from China sellers took around 30 days (some times even more).
So buyers have just a couple days to test items.
Message 164 of 205
latest reply

@aidual wrote:
It is 45 days time to open a case becuase items coming from China sellers took around 30 days (some times even more).
So buyers have just a couple days to test items.

That is 100% false information - Read the post directly above yours.

Message 165 of 205
latest reply