cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with a Monkey Doll Head Please

Somewhere out there in Ebayland is a Monkey Doll withOUT a head .... and I have a Monkey Head withOUT the body !

It has the eyes that "move" back and forth as you move the head.

I cannot tell you what type of material it is made of .... but it seems like some sort of hard plastic or maybe hard rubber to me.

I know absolutely nothing about dolls, but this has been in a miscellaneous storage box in our closet for more than 35 years.

Could you experienced doll collectors please be kind enough to give me enough details about this poor little monkey head so that I can try to find a New Good Home for it ?

Description ?

Material ?

Brand ?

Approximate age ?

What would be the best Ebay Category to list it in ?

Any other details that a Doll Collector would want to know about this Monkey Head ?

Thank You in advance for your help !

flipper2flipper

Best guess as to value ?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-BELL-HOP-ORGAN-GRINDER-MONKEY-DOLL-HOLOGRAPHIC-EYES/263067979286?_tr...

The stuffed organ grinder monkeys and puppets were "a thing" in the 40's and through the 50's. You often see them referred to as "bellhop monkeys", but that would not be their true origin. Yours has a rubber head, and would likely have had a corduroy body with rubber feet and hands. They were VERY popular, and made by many companies, so without markings I don't think you will be able to identify a manufacturer. Ones With inexpensive multicolored "satin" bodies were often seen as carnival prizes, and I think it was Shuco that made $pendy mohair varieties. (I don't know why they were a thing, they freak me out.)

Perhaps it was simply that they would have been familiar and fondly remembered childhood street entertainment in the bigger cities for previous generations.

i don't think I was able to give you much specific information, but I wish you luck!

Photobucket
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

blackmomdog,

Thank You Very Much for your help .... at least I now have a starting point to try to describe this poor little Monkey Head !

The link that you provided was very helpful because I learned that there is a Stuffed Animal Category ..... which might be more appropriate for this to be listed under that category.

You surprised me when you said that the head was made of rubber, and not plastic, which was my best guess.

As you can see the head is 2 parts, front and back, that I assume were glued together .... and I did not realize that hard rubber parts could be glued together, which is another reason that I assumed that it was plastic.

You also surprised me when you said that this "bellhop monkey" was made by several different companies .... that makes it much harder to identify .... but the term "bellhop monkey" was very helpful to find out !

Thank You Again for all of your help, and for all of the details in your reply .... I really appreciate it, and I now at least have a starting point !

I welcome any additional information or suggestions that you or anyone else would like to share with me.

Thanks Again for your time and effort to help me !

flipper

Message 3 of 3
latest reply