cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP TO IDENTIFY GREEN GLASS SHELL LEAF FOOTED DISH

I've had this thing for years. It was in a box of old stuff I bought at a sale.  It was covered in heavy gold paint so I never really paid much attnetion to it until I saw there was green glass underneath.  I removed all the paint and this is what came out.  It appears to be a type of mussel or clam shell dish with four shell feet.  About 8.5" long and about 3" deep and about 4.75" wide.  I can't find anything like it anywhere does anyone have any idea what it is or who the maker might be? 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: HELP TO IDENTIFY GREEN GLASS SHELL LEAF FOOTED DISH

Hello,  It looks like the Shell pattern made by Cambridge.  I am not sure if they ever made that pattern in dark green, or if it could be a remake by another company.  If you took gold paint off of it, was it completely covered in gold, or just decorated with gold?  I just bought a bowl that is a little larger than this piece in Cambridge Tuscan, which is a pink milk glass.  It also has the feet and the design.  I would start with Cambridge and go from there.  Sharon

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Oh thank you!! I will look that up..As far as the gold paint, it was totally covered, not decorated, Looked like very old spray paint. Thank you again...
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

My "Colors in Cambridge Glass II" book has your shell dish in "Late Dark Emerald" decorated with gold roses. The "late" part was explained as being derived from the fact that they had produced Dark Emerald twice before (if I'm reading that correctly). Also, the book states that the color was first introduced in 1949 (the year all the best babies are born).

bb

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thank you so much! Mine doesn't have any roses though, just some rows of beading on the inside of the shell rows... could it have been a different production?
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

It was painted solid gold when I found it inside and out. Guess it could have had painted gold roses on it under that thick over coat of solid gold?

Message 6 of 6
latest reply