cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any point in listing cloudy crystal?

I have 2 heavily cut crystal vases that I can't get the cloudiness out of. Any point in listing them? Thank you from a total glass newb. fat cloudy bottom.JPG

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Any point in listing cloudy crystal?

I agree with them being run through a dishwasher multiple times. The dishwasher detergent of old would etch the glass, leaving permanent cloudiness, usually with a rainbowing effect. It is not a film that can be removed. If a dishwasher is what caused your cloudiness then it is irreversible. 

Rubiano

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

Most old decanters have damage not from dishwashers but improper drying. If you see a series of very fine lines then you have sick glass known as crizzling. No repairs can be done. If it is calcium build up there are ways to restore it. I have a narrow neck vase about 14" tall that I am waiting to try and restore but am out of town right now and won't be able to try until tomorrow when I return. If you can check the "cloudy" area and do not see fine lines or tiny scratches (as from a dishwasher) more than likely it is mineral build up. I'll let you know how my new method works. I would hold off using any additional chemicals for now
Message 17 of 28
latest reply

You should also ask lithium to put this posting on the pottery porcelain and glass board /group
Message 18 of 28
latest reply

hi bailyann,
some of the 'old' glass has a 'dryer' feel because of use, washing, sunlight etc.if your cordial glasses have never been used then they have the original surface that hasn't been broken down, etched or deposits on it. you are right, not all oiled glass is meant to dupe... would say 99.99% of the glass one finds at big antique and glass shows are not oiled to dupe. 'Old' is a relative term and i am using it in regards to mostly pre ww2 American glass.
🙂
Message 19 of 28
latest reply

Also just to confirm you say the cloudiness is inside and no damage or cloudy to the outside?
Message 20 of 28
latest reply

They are so pretty and would look lovely if you could get rid of the mineral build up. I think your next decisions should be how much do you want spend to have them professionally restored  What is the value of the decanters restored.  Is it really worth the money.

If you do not want to go that route I would continue with home remedies.  Try CLR or LIme Away next.  In the pictures in looks like the minerals deposits are on the outside too.  If so, take either product and scrub with a fine bristle toothbrush.  For the inside of the decanter I would probably empty the entire contents of the calcium remover into  the decanter and let it sit.  Find a long handle bottle brush with closely placed bristle.  You will probably have to bend the brush to get it into the curve of the bottom of the decanter.  Pour the CLR back into the bottle it came in to use on another project.  Now scrub away, repeat if necessary.

Or pour a liberal amount of calcium remover in the vessel and roll it around making sure all areas have been covered.  Let sit a few minuets and scrub.  Repeat if necessary.

Be specific when working with glass restorers.  I once sent off a Waterford vase to have a chip removed from the rim.  It came back in like new condition.  I also sent a Swarovski Elephant to have a scratch removed. When I opened the box there laid half an elephant and a huge bill.  Why anyone would do that to a fellow person is beyond me.  The man completely destroyed my elephant and wanted payment for doing it.  Lesson learned.  A glass restorer has limitations.  Ask  a million questions before sending a piece off.

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

It's hard to tell if there is any on the outside. It appears to be all inside but I really am not sure.
The second vinegar bath didn't do anything. I'm hesitant to try anything further but am open to suggestions.
Thanks again.
Message 22 of 28
latest reply

If you can check the "cloudy" area and do not see fine lines or tiny scratches (as from a dishwasher) more than likely it is mineral build up. Sometimes if you zoom in on the pictures you can see them if they are there. It still sounds to me that it is mineral build up since you mentioned earlier that it came 50% cleaner at one point. 

Decanters can be a real pain to clean!

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

Have you tried your new method of cleaning yet?

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

Last night I tried to clean 2 vases, both with very narrow necks. One of the vases has flower scum in the bottom and is shaped almost like an hour glass.

I used some steel bb's on the hour glass vase and that really helped with the scum. Not so much on the mineral deposits on the other vase so for now, I have that one soaking in a vinegar/amonia solution diluted with water. I'll check when I get home this afternoon. I got that tip from a crystal collector.

Last year I tried some CLR on an older piece of cut glass, also a vase, and nearly destroyed it altogether. The glass was  "sick glass" but I didn't realize it until to late and the CLR got into the minute fractures and made it so much worse, I threw it way.

For some items like salt/pepper shakers, rubbing alcohol does a great job for internal cleaning. The peppers always seem to have an oily residue that dish soap can't seem to remove.

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

Steel BB's interesting, that would help with small items and odd shapes.  I have never used CLR as it never worked for me around my house. I have had some success with Lime a Away.  Now I am wondering if a mixture of vinegar and baking soda would do anything.  It is a home remedy for unclogging drains.  You get a foaming reaction when you mix the two together. I have tried using baking soda all by itself without any success.  The answer might be finding the right natural ingredient.  Nature vs Nature.

Thank you for the update and all your knowledge. I am learning a lot about glass and its ailments.  I would have never guessed rings came from improper drying, but I guess it makes sense since you often see it in coffee cups , vases and glasses that have sat around.

Off to find some small heavy beads to put down a Trumpet Vine Vase someone neglected and let dirt build up in the bottom opening.  I know I have a sewing tool that I could snake down the throat, but since I moved I can't find anything.

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

Sometimes the more you try, the worse it will get. I would think that your efforts all depend on what you plan to do with the item and how valuable it was to begin with.
I would put some colored water and a flower in it. 🙂
Best, Linda
................................................................................................................
If you're always cracking up, and you're always breaking down, don't deal in glassware
Message 27 of 28
latest reply

I agree, I have given up and thrown it in the trash. Sometimes if you don't care you can keep experminting and might make a discovery. You have nothing to lose.

Message 28 of 28
latest reply