cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question from a new glass freak

connetha
Enthusiast
I have just recently decided to decorate shelves in my dining room with pretty little colored candy dishes. I am not searching for any specific maker or design, I just like colorful glass. I don't even know what Depression Glass is, but assume it was made during the 30's. I just received my first piece in the mail, and found out it was NOT blue glass, but had a blue film over it. Is this common? I discovered it hours after receiving it, after giving it a cold water bath, and some film flaked off on the sponge. I'd appreciate your comments. Connie
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Hello Connie, Welcome to the group! Wow! The paint just flaked off? !! I doubt if your dish is depression glass. Some pieces were finished with what is known as Flash or Cold Paint, but mostly the color red was used. Also there is a type of glass called Goofus Glass that has cold paint which will flake off over use and time. Depression glass is usually not painted. Do you have a photo or an auction number if you bought it on eBay? Did the seller actually say the dish was depression glass? It would be most helpful if you could provide an image or photo for us to look at. I can understand your disappointment. Best Wishes, Yan
Warmest Regards,
Yan
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

connetha
Enthusiast
I don't have the ability to post a picture (I am quite computer illiterate). If you click on my name connetha (in purple print at the top of this topic) I THINK it will take you to the purchases I have made. And yes, the paint literally flaked off on the sponge! Nuts! And advice on what NOT to buy? I am really only interested in color, I am not a collector of a certain pattern or maker. Thanks!!!
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

connetha
Enthusiast
Hope this is not inappropriate...the item I bought was the covered candy dish on auction 7419150721.
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Thanks Connie, Posting auction numbers isn't inappropriate at all. :-) I see the seller actually did advertise this combo as Depression Glass. The photo isn't close enough that anyone could tell that the dish was painted. Heck, I can't even make out the pattern very well. :-) It is advisable to do a little research before you bid, just for your own piece of mind. A trip to the library or your friendly book store will give you access to collector's books about glass. Best of all your looking is free! Most of these books have many wonderful colored pictures and if you look through a few you'll know better what to look for when purchasing glass. Although you aren't interested in collecting glass by any particular maker the presence of the manufacturer in the auction description is most times a good indicator of the authenticity. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with this purchase. Truly this item was misrepresented as Depression Glass. Best Wishes, Yan
Warmest Regards,
Yan
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

connetha
Enthusiast
Just my luck! My first purchase was a fake. Oh well, at least it was not an expensive loss. I surely won't bid on an expensive item without researching it first!! Thanks! Connie
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Hi Connie, I'd contact the seller first to let them know that you are very disappointed with your purchase. Then don't forget to post appropriate feedback especially if you can't get any satisfaction. Please don't judge all sellers by this experience. There are many more trustworthy sellers on eBay than fraudulent. Best Wishes, Yan
Warmest Regards,
Yan
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Hi Connie, Me again. Does your dish look like this without the paint?
Warmest Regards,
Yan
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

connetha
Enthusiast
Yes, it sure does!!!
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

This one was made by Jeannette Glass. Take a close look at the details. I'll check to see if Jeannette marked this dish and when it was produced. Might take a while. 🙂
Warmest Regards,
Yan
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

connetha
Enthusiast
It is exactly the same candy dish, I am certain of it! And knowing nothing about glass, I don't know if Jeannette Glass is Depression Glass. I was so excited to receive my first piece of colorful glass, I hurriedly posted a positive feedback before I washed it! (It smelled like smoke) Connie
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Well, I'm seeing that Jeannette made these type dishes in the 1950's. The only ones I'm finding are Amberina (graduating red,orange,yellow) and they were painted or flashed. Didn't find any blue ones yet though. They measure about 6 1/2 inches tall. Jeannette glass started producing glass in 1900 and began making tableware in 1920. They were in business until 1983. Hope this is helpful info. :-) Best Wishes, Yan
Warmest Regards,
Yan
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

connetha
Enthusiast
Thanks Yan, your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to set a new glass lover on the straight and narrow! Connie
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

sandysfancy-old
Enthusiast
Westmoreland did make a flashed Wedding Compote in the 1930s and then in the 1950s Jeannette Glass remade them. Either type is considered collectible and Jeannette is not considered fake. Maybe not as choice but not fake. Westmoreland has a glass club page to see the earlier type. Hope this helps.
Sandy's Fancy Pants Antiques and Collectibles
Message 14 of 14
latest reply