cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A newbie

Hi, I am new to this group and new to Serious glass collecting. I love depression glass and especially 50s and 60s glass. I wanted to post some pictures for help on patterns and makers of a few things I have been unable to find after weeks of searching. I have ordered a book, but I don't have it yet, I am just too impatient and to see you someone might be able to help with these. I posted a picture (I hope) and used up most of my limit on the one. Any tips on how to post more than one is appreciated. Thanks!!
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

A newbie

Hi Bobbie! Welcome to the group! Actually there were 2 photos waiting for approval to your album. I deleted one as they seemed to be exactly alike. You should have more room in your album now. :-) Depending upon the file size of your photos determines how many photos you can put in your album. Each eBay member gets 2MB of space in an album per eBay ID. If you have photo editing software on your computer you can regulate the size of your photo files through your program. If you don't have an editor that will do that for you there is an alternative. Irfanview.com is a free download that will allow you to edit your photos. Do a search for it and give it a try. I don't believe this program is available for MAC systems however. Hope this info helps. Thanks for joining us! We're glad to have you with us! Best Wishes, Yan
Warmest Regards,
Yan
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

A newbie

Hi Bobbie, I just approved your Glass Water Pitcher photo. I can tell you that it is made by Hazel Atlas. I don't know the name of the pattern that is painted on the pitcher but the pitcher itself is known as Optic Style. These were made from the late 1930's into the 40's. After the 1940's they were mostly featured as water sets in the concentric rings pattern. This info is from the Hazel Atlas Glass ID & Value Guide by Gene and Cathy Florence found on page 40 of their book. Your tumbler may also be Hazel Atlas glass as there is a photo of one that looks strikingly like yours on page 47 of the same book. I hope this information helps. Best Wishes, Yan
Warmest Regards,
Yan
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

A newbie

Hi Yan, I thought the pitcher was Hazel Atlas, but I was not sure. I have had it for several years and I look for it periodically to try and find one like and to know the pattern. Now I at least know what the name of the pitcher is. I am fairly new at collecting, but I have been researching for several years trying to get some knowledge. Now that I am "hooked" I have bought one of the books by the Florence's, but I thought I would venture into discussion boards and meet some seasoned collectors. Thanks for taking the time to help me. I have a couple of more pictures that I will post to see if you or someone might could help on those. Thanks so much!! Bobbie
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

A newbie

I posted two pictures of what I am calling a small dessert plate, it is about the size of a saucer, but it does not have the indentation for a cup. Hope you can help me out with the maker and pattern on this one also. Thanks so much!!
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

A newbie

Hi Bobbie, Your plates are a Sandwich Glass type pattern for sure. The tile was originated with Boston & Sandwich Glass Company which located in Sandwich Massachusetts. The pattern called "Sandwich" was made by many manufacturers over the years. Indiana Glass, Anchor Hocking and Duncan Miller are some of the companies that produced similar patterns. Indiana Glass still produces this pattern. Your plates seem to differ from the above mentioned company's patterns in that they do not have the center flower. Some further detective work might bring some results. :-) I hope this info is helpfull to you. Best Wishes, Yan
Warmest Regards,
Yan
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

A newbie

Hey Yan, Thanks so much for confirming my "thoughts" that it looked like sandwich, but like you said it does not have the central flower. My searching only came up with the companies you mentioned, and having little knowledge in this right now, I did not know if maybe there were other smaller companies that were not so well known. I felt like it was "vintage" in that on the back there is still some of the glue that looked older that what is used today, from what I thought was probably a label. This has been very helpful. I am off to do more searching!! Thanks so much!! Bobbie
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

A newbie

I posted another picture. This one has the anchor symbol with the H, so I know it is AH. I have not been able to find the pattern. On the outside is an embossed pattern of what looks to me like leaves with the inside being debossed. Thanks for you help. Bobbie
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

A newbie

hedgehogzoom
Enthusiast
Hi Bobbie1991! Your newest photo has been posted. I can't really tell (eyes are not so good anymore! HA HA!) if the leaves are like grape leaves? I'm wondering if it could be Vintage? I'll check in my AH books but to be quite honest, this seems to be a new one for me! Anyone else have any input? Bobbie--you may have a "stumper" here! Terry Sue
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

A newbie

Hi Terry Sue! I can totally relate to the eyes!! I took about 6 pictures before I got one this good. It is hard to tell, they could be grape leaves, almost all of them overlap each other. I had never seen this pattern and I like things that are different. I don't know if you saw my previous pictures on the small crystal plate. Yan thought it was definitely "sandwich" pattern, just not the usual companies. Well, I just lucked up on 12 cups in that same pattern, at another thrift store, for mere pennies!!! So I am really anxious to try and find the maker on those!! I hope my glass books get here soon as I am fast becoming a glassaholic!! Thanks for all your help. Bobbie
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

A newbie

I added some new pictures, Bobbie's Trash or Treasure. hopefully someone can help me with the patterns and makers. I need a pat on the back I learned how to change the size of the picture files before taking AND take close-ups, all in one day!!! On the bowl, I found a pitcher that the pattern looked like my bowl, it was called Imperial Amelia or Star Medallion or Boxed Star, is how they described it, 1920s. The cup has the same pattern as the plate I posted before, except at the bottom of the cup there are the lines. The planter just curious if the name "Judy" means anything, and is it USA Pottery. The long dish, is this Star of David?, and maker. This is the only piece I have any knowledge of the history, and not much, I acquired it along with some other pieces, from a friend who during the 70s-80s while in the service and overseas, bought his mother lots of crystal, and she was having to sell some of it. Thanks to all for any help!! Bobbie
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

A newbie

hedgehogzoom
Enthusiast
Hot Dog, Bobbie! You are leaps & bounds beyond me! I don't even know what a picture file is! Doggone it--I'm not ever sure how to use my digital camera! YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!! Your glassware photos are posted. The one pattern definitely looks like Amelia.........do you want some history on it? I can give you what my Imperial books have if you want it. The Star of David is a new one on me.................. As far as the Sandwich pieces go...........hmmmm..... I DID miss your other photos. Can ya tell I don't know my way around very well? If Yan says Sandwich, I'd pretty much bet my firstborn on it! The thing that throws me is the Anchor Hocking T.M.................. hhhmmmmmmmm....... Guess I'd better hit the books HARD! 'til then--take care--Terry Sue
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

A newbie

Terry Sue, Thanks. I would love some history on the Imperial Amelia... I am new. The one I said Star of David, I was just guessing because it looked like some things I had seen with that style star in the middle. The cup that is posted has basically the same design as the plate I had up. Yan had said Sandwich, but could not find anything that had a pattern like mine especially in the middle, I'll put the plate back up. Thanks so much for the encouragement! Bobbie
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

A newbie

Terry Sue, I posted the plate again. Hope you can tell by the pictures, the detailed part looks like the cup. Thanks for the help Bobbie
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

A newbie

Just realized I posted pottery in the wrong group. Sorry bout that. Bobbie
Message 15 of 17
latest reply