eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

Let's get this board going - Introduce yourself here!

Hi, all - this board is way too quiet! Surprising, given the topic. Perhaps if we could all introduce ourselves, we could get things going. How about telling a bit about yourself, including your favorite holiday and how you celebrate and/or decorate for it. and so on?

I'm Ruth and have been on eBay for over 3 years now. I used to sell as a hobby, but am just buying right now. Plan on selling next summer, though.
Although Christmas is my favorite holiday to decorate for, I guess my favorite holiday overall is Easter. I love the special services at church, the beautiful music, the little girls in their new Easter dresses and the elderly ladies in their hats and corsages. I usually host Easter dinner for all our family - the one holiday dinner that's "mine". I love to set a very formal table with my antique china, linens, chrystal, and silver. The menu changes every year, but there's usually a ham involved. Don't decorate like I did when my son and his cousins were small - miss those Easter egg hunts - but always have several bouquets of fresh flowers in all the beautiful Spring colors .

Next? Don't be shy!

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.
-- Dorothy Parker

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Let's get this board going - Introduce yourself here!

in reply to at_long_last
We seem to keep trying, but then we just peter out. Don't know why! I love Christmas best, too. I'm always torn now whether to sell my new treasures or keep them. Sometimes I do both, keep for a couple years, then move it out to make room for something "new". I love decorating for Thanksgiving, also. Everybody on this board seems to be very creative and artistic. I'm definitely not! But I enjoy the people and topics here anyway, even if I don't "belong". I love cooking and gardening and my St. Bernard. Oh, my name is Toney, and yes, I'm a girl despite the name! Nice to meet you, Ruth. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to at_long_last
I'm just a visitor from another time(smile)
who really enjoys having Old Santas and Santa related collectibles that are old.
I keep coming to this board to see what I can learn. Maybe it's a seasonal thing.. and it's only busy here around a holiday?

Actually, I'm an historic clothier who specializes in Renaissance and Victorian items. The Victorian part makes sense, since that's where our idea of Santa was invented.
I had an Antique & Collectibles business for 15 years, which is where I acquired most of my goodies.

My Xmas tree tends to look very mid 1940's though...complete with old ornaments, bubble lights and tinsel. I don't "do" a Victorian Xmas, just the Santas.

Pleased to meet whomever stops by...
Feathers
Please use plain text.
maxine*j
Community Member

in reply to at_long_last
Halloween was my favorite holiday when I was a kid. Yes, I liked it better even than Christmas. Too bad today’s kids will never know the joys of my Halloweens - roaming the dark night streets, indulging in mild pranks and “vandalism” without repercussion, traveling as willy-nilly as the autumn leaves blowing around us, extorting adults far and wide for candy, inhaling great lungfuls of the sweet smoke of burning leaves, pretending that all the shivering was just because of the chill in the air... Ah, it was fun!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to at_long_last
Hi Maxine,
I remember that! It was the greatest adventure---roaming dark unknown streets with total freedom, getting homemade goodies(the best kind) from strangers, staying up REAL late, like 10pm even. Now, there is none of that kind of freedom for kids. I'm sure glad we grew up when we did!
Did you always have sparklers for the 4th of July? And always burn yourself? :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
maxine*j
Community Member

in reply to at_long_last
Toneylee -- Yes!! Always had sparklers and always burned myself! And my big brothers had firecrackers. Mom was convinced they'd blow their hands off. LOL! Just part of the festivities! And on Arbor Day we planted trees and for May Day we made paper baskets and filled them with flowers. We had it so good as kids. This past Christmas I watched a six-year-old grandnephew open more presents in an hour than I got in all the Christmases of my childhood put together. (No, I do not exaggerate.) And he was miserable and ungrateful and cranky, poor little chap, while for me Christmas was a time of such sweet magic.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to at_long_last
I think all of us Christmas lovers have been way too busy to post here! I know I love Christmas big time, but right now I'm awfully busy putting Christmas decorations up and shopping real (!) stores for more bargains. At 60% off and no shipping, plus immediate gratification, the stores are even better than eBay this week. (Gasp!) Yesterday I bought 33 Christmas presents, and 4 angels for myself, and spent a little bit of nothing.

Yes, I am an angel collector, year round. I keep the figurines and tins out all year and at Christmas get the ornaments out for the 10 ft tree, plus several ornament stands. I still have to get the tree and ornaments put up, and will start that next weekend. It takes usually three or four weekends of hard work to get that done, and I hate the result-the angels are gone!

I'm taking a break right now from cleaning up the room we store the Christmas things in. I threw a whole lot of boxes away because there was just no room to keep them, and kept some. What do you want to bet I threw away the ones I should have kept, and kept the ones I should have thrown away?

I hope to see more Christmas lovers here as the season winds down. I'll still be here, lurking mostly, as long as the child in me still lives!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to at_long_last
Well, I'm relieved to see I'm not the only one still putting Christmas things away! I have the same problem with my bird ornaments--whether to put them all away or keep some out year round. I love them too much to pack them all up. Some I stick on or in houseplants once Christmas is over. I wish I could make my whole Christmas tree just birds and bird related.
Maxine, my mother told me a story of a Christmas looong ago when I was about 2 and just started to cry for no reason. I know there were very few gifts to open, but it was just too much for me to tolerate. Even little kids can be stressed by being overwhelmed. Of course, those were the days when gifts and toys were few and far between. Nowadays, it seems that a few gifts are so common that there's nothing special about getting them. Sad....
Please use plain text.
maxine*j
Community Member

in reply to at_long_last
Whew! I'm almost glad I live in a place too small to put on some of the displays you folks have. I think I'd be too darn lazy for the UN-decorating! LOL. Seriously, it all sounds very lovely. And it is hard to put some of it away, isn't it? I feel that way in particular about a pair of old candleholders I have. They're something like Burwood or Syroco Wood and have a pinecone shape and design. Every year, they're the first things I get out and the last things I put away. Toneylee, yeah, any little kid can get stressed at Christmas -- too much stimulation, i guess. But this one opens a present, snorts at it, tosses it aside with remarks like, "Who cares!?" and "This is stupid!" and tears into the next one. Sad, for sure. Life's not going to be easy for him.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to at_long_last
Maxine, that is sad. I'm not sure I'd know how to react to that. How hard life would be if nothing ever felt special. Your candleholders sound great. I'd be tempted to keep them out permanently.
So where's Ruth? You started this! We're walking down Memory Lane here.
My dad always heard the reindeers' sleighbells every year. We tried and tried to stay awake to hear them, too. Sometimes, we thought we did!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to at_long_last
Here I am, toneylee! I've been busy with company the lst couple of days - my sister is here and we had our Christmas just yesterday! I left my smallest tree up for her - a five footer decorated with nothing but Christmas picks: pine cones, poinsettias, holly and bittersweet, and so on. It's really a pretty little thing. Hubby calls it my nature tree which makes me laugh as the only natural thing about those picks are the pine cones!

Sure have enjoyed reading the holiday memories and love the bird tree idea. I used to have about 30 antique felt and feather cardinal ornaments. They had wires attached to their feet and you just perched them on the branches. I loved them. They were so life-like, even if a bit tattered and faded. My ex-hubby decided one year those "ugly old birds" were trash - which is where he put them. (can you see why he's my ex hubby?) Sure would love to find some like them.

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.
-- Dorothy Parker

Please use plain text.
maxine*j
Community Member

in reply to at_long_last
An ALL BIRD bird tree sounds nice to me, as well. We used to have some of those "wire-footed" birds, too, but finally the poor dears' feather wings and tails were all gone and so we (ahem) laid them to rest. And we had glass birds with "clip-on" feet, too, and tails made out of (I think) fiberglass. You can still buy those, but I believe they stopped using fiberglass in Christmas ornaments quite a while ago, thank goodness! Anyhow, I don't have any old ones left but I have some new bird ornaments (10 years old and less) and they're among my favorites. However, it's because we have REAL birds as pets that we no longer have a Christmas tree among our household decorations. In fact, we go in a lot for metal items and other, er, sturdy decorations. :-)
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to at_long_last
Boy, nobody better throw away my tattered birds. I don't care...you can't really tell if you look at them from across the room! I also have a whole set of perfect birds made from fungi! My brother gave them to me, and they are wonderful and soft to the touch. Once, we cut a Christmas tree with a real bird nest still in it. It was my favorite tree. I nestled my biggest bird in it. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to at_long_last
Good morning all! I'm thinking I'll be on the lookout for bird ornies this year and add them to my little "nature tree" next year! I have a few of the clip-on birds on the big, old-fashioned, no-theme tree that goes up in the living room. I've seen those fungi birds - they're wonderful! My tattered cardinals really didn't look that bad, especially considering the fact that they were about 70 years old.

Okay - enough about birds from me! I'd like to hear more about maxine's REAL birds!

More holiday memories: Halloween was fun when I was a kid, too - before anyone started equating it with the Occult. Nowadays, the schools where I serve as librarian barely even recognize it. Kids don't wear costumes, very few halloween decorations put up in classrooms. The trend is toward having a Fall festival around Halloween time - at least in my part of the world. We get very few trick or treaters in our neighborhood these last several years, and there are dozens of youngsters nearby! Partly due to the above, partly out of the fear of a nut case slipping their child something unthinkable, I'm guessing. What's up with Halloween in your area?

-- Dorothy Parker

Please use plain text.
maxine*j
Community Member

in reply to at_long_last
A "fall festival" instead of Thanksgiving and Halloween. A "winter festival" instead of Christmas and New Year's. A "spring festival" instead of Easter and May Day. Sigh... Oh, well, I'll still celebrate 'em all! And more! The real birds are hand-raised cockatiels and they want to EAT Christmas trees and ornaments, poinesttias, etc. (Yes, they'll eat plastic trees and fake plants, too, alas.) And anything red is overwhelmingly attractive to them. They aren't out of their cages all the time, of course, but while they are we like to enjoy their company. That's hard to do if they're about to destroy something nice and make themselves sick at the same time. (You know, like having toddlers around!) So I decorate with things that are hard for them to land in or on, and that can't be chewed if they manage to. I have, for example, a pretty "poinsettia" doorstop that is painted cast iron -- and I use it as a table decoration. LOL!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to at_long_last
Hello, I heard there were special days during the year that were set apart for christmas items so that you wouldn't have to wait to sell at the end of the year. Can anyone clarify this with details for me? Thank you, Tony
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to at_long_last
I love cockatiels! Such interesting birds. My son's best friend's family keeps 5 of them. What was intended for a dining room in their home has been completely given over to the birds.

I'm more of a dog person, but for the last several years I was a classroom teacher, I kept a pair of budgies as class pets. Got them when they were teeny babies and they were as tame and friendly as puppies. They knew their names and were simply great with the kids. When I quit teaching, Buford and Buckleigh were miserable! Ended up giving them to another teacher. Those little birds were so used to living in a classroom with all the noise and confusion, etc. they simply couldn't adjust to being at home all the time! And people think birds don't have personalities....

-- Dorothy Parker

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to at_long_last
Hi Tony, I've never heard of anything like that, but this is only my 2nd Christmas on ebay so maybe some oldtimer knows more. Really good Christmas stuff will sell any time. But I usually wait till Oct. or so.
Ruth, I didn't know that about schools and Halloween. It seems like we are stealing the holidays from the children and twisting them so much that the schools can no longer support them. I don't get trick-or-treaters either, but no children are around here anymore. My neighbor's child some 10 years ago loved Halloween. His excitement over the dressing up, etc. was more than for Christmas. I felt so sad for him when he got taken to the mall instead of on a traditional route. Change is inevitable, I know, but sometimes I wish we could go backwards for a while! Toney :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
maxine*j
Community Member

in reply to at_long_last
Ruth - Five cockatiels?! Oh my! When I think of the uproar our two can cause... :-) Budgies are bold, smart, playful, cheerful little parrots and I just love 'em. I can easily imagine a pair of them delighting in all the classroom commotion and being bored without it! And I'm a dog person, too, and a cat person, bird person and horse, donkey, you-name-it person. I enjoy them all. Never understood the single species syndrome. LOL! We live in a small place in town now, so birds are it for us these days, though. Toneylee - Know what else we've stolen from the kids? Washington and Lincoln's Birthdays. Now we just have "Presidents Day." Harding? Fillmore? Harrison? Whooopee... I guess Valentine's Day will be the next to go. Then St. Patrick's Day. Pooh! Or perhaps all this just gives the likes of us more scope. To keep the holidays alive, we need to do ever more decorating... Hmmmmm. I like it! Not just an indulgence - a duty!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to at_long_last
Toney, so many parents - here in west Texas, at any rate - object to Halloween celebrations that the schools around here try to downplay the holiday so as not offend. May not be the same everywhere.
Childhood has lost so much over the last two or three decades. I can remember when all the kids in the neighborhood would rove around until after dark in the summers. We spent hours upon hours without our mothers having a clue where we were. Parents today don't dare give their children that kind of freedom, not with all the horrible things that we read about in the newspaper.

LOVE your comment that decorating for holidays is a duty, maxine! I'm taking that one to heart! Reminds me of my patented excuse for shopping: "But honey, you keep saying we live in a consumer-driven economy....I'm just trying to do my part to keep it afloat!"

Yes, 5 cockatiels. Some of them are rather elderly and pretty quiet. The others more than make up for it, though, from what I've seen! I was really hoping to keep the Budgies home with me, but after a week or so, they realized they weren't going back to school. They got so depressed, it was just unbelievable. Perked up immediately once they returned to school. They're actually still alive and well - let's see, they'll be 6 this coming July - and are the happiest, funniest pair you've ever seen.

Ruth

-- Dorothy Parker

Please use plain text.