cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nedd advice I sold a Graphics card in New category but..

Greetings to all. I am asking any experienced sellers in this category for needed advice. I am in my 60's and need to establish an extra income source. I sold many used auto parts and related items on Ebay years ago as that was my area of expertise when I was younger and I never had a problem. Since my disability and forced retirement, I have learned about computers and am going to be selling custom built gaming PC's and related components. I recently sold a "new never used" for its intended purposes, Graphics card in original box with manuals, CD, etc and listed it as New. I listed it as New, but in my description I disclosed that it was taken out of its original box for "testing purposes only" in a PC to ensure it functioned properly. I took very detailed pictures and used all 23 allowed photo uploads. I sold it a week ago and today the buyer opened a return and their reason was "item not as described" because it was "not new". They sent pics showing some minor dust and scuffs that clearly were NOT on the component when in my possession. I called Ebay and the CSR said it sounded like a case of buyers remorse and that I had indeed protected myself by disclosing the component was removed from box for "testing purposes only". I was not given a strike nor had to give a refund to buyer but Ebay gave them the entire refund amount. Is this an old scam? If it is it must be very lucrative to Ebay members like aquagr35 aka ELi Ashkenazi.  So does something listed as New have to be wrapped in its original cellophane wrapping like it just came off a shelf at Best Buy? How should I list my PC components like this going forward? I can attach a link to my listing if it helps provide more detail. Thanks in advance guys.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

It it comes wrapped in cellophane, it should be wrapped in cellophane to be offered as new. It should be listed as open box or new (other) if not.

There should be no reason to test a new item, and open the package.

You might have had to fight the same battle if it was sealed.

IMO selling gaming computers is asking for a lot of hassle. You should rethink your plan. This sale is just the beginning of the grief you will have.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

If it's listed as new, it should be in the same condition it would be if you bought it new at a store.

Since it was opened, list it as open box or used and mention in the description that it was only opened to test it.

You got lucky getting Ebay involved in the return, it doesn't usually turn out that way.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 3
latest reply