cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canceling an order after winning auction

I recently won a comic book in an auction and the seller decided to cancel my order. I was pretty excited to win the book because I had been after it from some time. I had won the auction fair and square for a wicked price, so I am highly frustrated that the seller canceled my order. 

Is this not highly unethical of the seller? why can't I leave a negative review? why can't I say the sellers name on here? so many questions.

The seller claimed he cancelled my order because he will not ship to Canada. The bidding was obviously open to international sellers because I was able to bid. It is actually quite simple to restrict bidding to US buyers only. 90% of all the comics I bid on are from the United States and I've now had this issue twice.. I suspect some sellers allow international bidding to drive up the price, then simply cancel if they don't agree with the winning price. Looking for any opinions on this matter.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Sorry you won and feel this way.

eBay is confusing sometimes especially selling, and to restrict shipping to some places is confusing for some sellers. It is not just 1 check and your done.

I am not sure that opening bidding to other places you wont ship is a great sales strategy.

Sellers can always take the defect from canceling any sale if they dont like the price, just as many buyers have refused to pay once they won.

The only thing I can suggest is if you find an item you might like to bid on, message the seller and say "i notice your listing says you ship to Canada. I am checking that if I win the auction you really do ship here"

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

How do you know if the seller cancels the item saying buyer canceled it?

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I mean when it comes to canceling, the only reason that will not let them get a defect is "Problem with Buyer's address"

And as for the question, I would assume there would be a notification of some sort telling the buyer the bid was canceled, but I am not sure

I am not an eBay employee but I sure feel like one sometimes
eBay Community Mentor Since 8-07-2023
Used to be panda75654
This is my only account. I do not own any other eBay accounts and will not ask for personal information. Stay safe!
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Yes the buyer does get notified that the item was canceled, but not the reason why. I just now canceled an order (just to see what it says) and it asks me (the seller) the reason for cancelling. "Out of stock or damaged, buyer asked to cancel, or issue with buyer's address."

I can just click on buyer asked to cancel and I don't think they tell them that. I've had items cancelled on me by the buyer and I never heard why. I think you have to report buyer or something, not sure.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply