cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Comics be shipped through the USPS as Media Rate

Can anyone say definatively yes or no? Some clerks will accept packages for this rate and others say No...claim its "Magazines and has advertising" etc. Its been a crap shoot at the post offices I use and I'm tired of getting burnt on large shipments if I can in fact ship Media Rate. They end up using this other rate that maybe saves a dime called Printed Material but is a variable rate based on where its going by Zip Code so many times its about the same as First Class. Tonight at the 24/7 Post Office I figure it cost me an extra $40. I try to kkep my shipping cost to a minimum to my customers but its getting to be a losing proposition when the post office will not cooperate! Please advise and thanks for input Tony
Message 1 of 533
latest reply
532 REPLIES 532

illuminated
Enthusiast
I'm all for Media Mail for comic books, but the 'expired' and 'historical' notions for the advertising always strikes me as kind of silly. Say there's an ad for Coca-Cola or "Make Mine Marvel"..? Is it still valid? Of course. Not all advertisements are comprised of a direct offer for sale.
Message 61 of 533
latest reply

tazziebear
Enthusiast
I actually think the USPS is wrong in interpreting its own definitions. Here is my thought. An advertisment is a soliciation to accept offer for the purchase of good or services for a specified price. That is the legal definition of an advertisement. So, that means that in order for something to be an advertisment, the seller has to be willing to accept offers on goods or services at the prices quoted (with other stipulations). So, according to the USPS, I can go back and get a 1940's magazine and the seller would have to accept my offer of $0.10 to buy Action Comics #1. Sweet. I could put mile high out of business. Now, perhaps what they mean is that media mail shouldn't be used to carry *current* advertising?
Message 62 of 533
latest reply

dpxcomics
Enthusiast
I say we picket in front of the Postmaster General office and demand a "Comics Mail" rate, cheaper than Media.

:^O
Message 63 of 533
latest reply

Out of hundreds of sales and shipments, I have not had any of my sales result in additional postage due to the issue over Medial Mail and Advertising restrictions. The USPS does not have the time to inspect physically every package which is probably the reason I have never had a problem. I have never been told that I could not use USPS Media Mail, but at the same time, I do not pack my shipments in view of any USPS Employees, so they never question the contents when it arrives posted and addressed and ready to ship, with printed labels and metered postage stamp already affixed. I have access to a postage machine for this.

I recently wrote the USPS Online about this matter, and they refered my questions to a local USPS Post Master, who only quoted (copy & pasted from the manual likely)the same as already done in this thread.

Another idea to use in defense of qualifying for Medial Mail, is to indicate when questioned, that your comics are collectables, not sold as advertising media, which clearly is true when you package your books in bags & boards SEALED with tape.

As for shipping & packaging methods of your books, if you are selling 1 to 4 items per mailing, you would be very wise to purchasing from an envelope or paper supplier what is called JIFFY PAK Rigid Mailers. A case of 200 costs about $50. These are perfect for up to 4 comics. They are very sturdy, and virtually un-bendable. Shipments of more than 4 comics fit nicely in Jiffy Pak Bubble Envelopes with card board for more stiffness, works well too. These are very cheap when bought in case lots.

As for Delivery Confirmation. there is really no need for DC, unless you need assurance of delivery, which you should then use the GREEN USPS Return Receipt. This requires the recipient's signature upon delivery (this could slow down delivery though, as most buyers are not home during the day).
Message 64 of 533
latest reply

I agree, except with the point about Delivery Conf.
The standard DC is invaluable when selling items on eBay. It seems to eliminate the problem of certain Buyers claiming they never received the item (unless they actually haven't which would be reflected on the DC tracking and thereby assist the Seller in retrieving or resending the item). It's also like a little insurance when dealing with Paypal if there is a dispute over receipt of an item.
Buyers sometimes appreciate being able to track their items too. It helps decrease questions about; when did you ship my item? where is it? when's it going to get here? how much longer do I have to wait, etc.
~
Message 65 of 533
latest reply

tokyodays
Enthusiast
Yeah, I love delivery confirmation-- not sure how I got along without it. Well, I'll tell you! I once had a guy claim his comics never arrived AND they were insured. Refund of $200! And I had misplaced the insurance receipt!!

Now I use DC (electronic online through endicia.com) and pay only 13¢ per DC and it's so easy to simply check and follow. I've had more than one customer question/complain where there book was-- all it took was a quick run to check online. In all cases the book was shown to be in transit OR HAD BEEN DELIVERED!!! One was a copy of Hulk 182 for no small change-- online DC showed it delivered!

Endicia.com for the Mac users out there-- $14.95 for the service, 13¢ for DC on each package-- and their own, cheaper insurance!
http://www.chrisjuricich.com/eBay_pics/apic.JPG
Message 66 of 533
latest reply

I just shipped some Ka-Zar comics (circa 1974) Media Mail and didn't have any problems. I used to ship video games (Computer readable format) and never had any problems. I always state exactly what is in the package.

The fact that various people have different problems shipping this way leads me to believe the USPS needs to reform their policies.

Most books I have seen (let's say computer programming books and novels) contain plenty of advertising. They advertise other books by the same author, etc.

If you ask me, the USPS gets a Big Fat Phony on Media Mail.
Message 67 of 533
latest reply

illuminated
Enthusiast
An advertisment is a soliciation to accept offer for the purchase of good or services for a specified price. That is the legal definition of an advertisement.

That's a real headscratcher. I'd never heard that one. Seems incredibly specific. Could you cite the law book? Is that Federal? Part of the UCC?
Message 68 of 533
latest reply

illuminated
Enthusiast
Received a box of 62 bagged and boarded comics today. The box was stamped "OPENED FOR INSPECTION BY USPS", and had clearly been resealed.

This is the fifth such package I have received in the past two years. In all cases, inspectors were apparently not concerned with comics being shipped via Media Mail.
Message 69 of 533
latest reply

My take on Media Mail...

No advertising? Really? So, you don't allow DVDs which have "coming attractions" segements before you even get to the main menu? And you don't allow CDs which have "Other items from our catalog" pages in the booklet? And you don't allow books and sheet music with "Also available from this publisher" pages - many pages - sometimes entire excerpts from a forthcoming book - tucked in the back?

Oh, wait - you allow all those, but you won't allow my stupid Walt Disney Comics and Stories from 1949, because it's a comic book and might have an actual paid-money advertisement in it?

Right, now I get it. Thanks for explaining that to me!
Message 70 of 533
latest reply

tokyodays
Enthusiast
Well,here's a weird thing I just got a form letter for the USPS saying that an item I had was inspected, I suspect, and since it didn't qualify for the media mail, one of two things would happen:

1- it would be sent on to the recipient and said recipient would be charged the difference between the media mail postage and the appropriate rate applied (parcel post, most likely). But if he refused it...

2- it would be sent back to me where I would pay the appropriate amount.

The form had a bit high-lighted in yellow... NO ADVERTISING...

Well, whatever! Considering how many items I ship each week (probably anywhere from 20-30) and that about 30% go first class or overseas where such classifications are moot, and given that my items get shipped all over the country and the world, the chances of getting another item stopped and inspected is pretty minimal, I think.

I'll take my chances. At worst, there's always Bound Printed Matter which is apparently OK to use for comics.
Message 71 of 533
latest reply

On a similar subject, anyone ever have problems with merchandise being stolen within the USPS? I'm thinking it's more likely under the media mail scenario.

I've recently won 2 lots of 3 comics from a reputable dealer I've dealt with before. The package arrived with only a cardboard piece within and stamped "Received Unsealed" in red. The seller did refund me the money.

I'm thinking that since this was media, someone within the USPS took this aside to supposedly inspect and dropped the contents in their own personal briefcase or whatever. One note I pointed out to the buyer is that he used a comic related sticker on the envelope.
Message 72 of 533
latest reply

tokyodays
Enthusiast
I like the notion of referring to them as 'collectables' as well. It invites the question as to what KIND of collectables, though, so perhaps not. I use Endicia computer postage (exclusively for the Mac) and am able to print out my own labels with postage, etc. Even insurance through their company which is CHEAPER than the USPS-- though it doesn't allow anyplace on the postage label to state such. I'm not sure if an insured stamp encourages theft for the thieves in the USPS or not-- figuring that at least their theft would be 'covered'.

But nothing new-- I'll continue to use Media Mail as its convenient and it seems 'reasonable' to use it, despite the USPS confusing restrictions.

As an aside, I highly recommend getting a postage service for home printing-- depending on your volume. I ship about 90-100 packages a month, sometimes less, and the base fee of $15.95 is definitely worth the hassle of standing in line. The local PO now actually has a big blue mailbox specifically for the users of internet postage users. One still has to wait in line for overseas shipments-- customs and all that.
Message 73 of 533
latest reply

Print for free with paypal.

Post office will come to your door to pick up packages if at least one is Priority. Worth it to mail a $3.95 empty envelope to get them to come to the door for a dozen media rate boxes.
Message 74 of 533
latest reply

ringfinger1999
Enthusiast
Yeah, give them 10 long boxes to pick up and see how long you will be shipping media, take my word for it, I drop my boxes off and still have to kiss a$$ to get them sent media.
Message 75 of 533
latest reply