cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

interesting huge Cecil Aldin Prints removed from Old Hotel

So, Check these out.  They are old Cecil Aldin litho's measuring 3 ft. by 5 ft. There were removed from an old grand hotel in the Capital of NY from the early 1900's.  When it was revovated in th 1960's these were removed from the walls of the Hotel's Tavern.  There were mounted to canvans which were mounted to the plaster.  There is still plaster attached to the back of the plaster.   They were kept in storage with a bunch of other old items from the hotel since it was renovated.   Not sure if there is any value to them except for the cool factor but I bet framed under glass they would look cool.  If anyone has any info on them it would be appreciated.  I can't find anything online about them.

Cheers,

Justin

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: interesting huge Cecil Aldin Prints removed from Old Hotel

I've never heard on him, but simply Googling his name brings up quite a bit of information from which to start your research.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pottery collectors will recognize his work from Buffalo Pottery.

"The Popular Deldare Lines and Related Wares"
Buffalo Pottery Deldare Ware Centerpiece Bowl
"Buffalo Pottery Deldare Ware Centerpiece Bowl, Ca. 1908-09, Sold for $1,020 at Morphy Auctions in October, 2011. Photo Courtesy of Morphy Auctions

Buffalo’s most famous art pottery line by far, introduced by the first company manager Louis H. Bown, is Deldare with themes reflecting the literature, art, and village life of period England. The first line produced only from 1908 to 1909 features hand painted scenes from Cecil Aldin’s Fallowfield Hunt or English village scenes on olive green semi-vitreous china, according to an article by Harry Rinker republished online."  (pulled from the WWW for educational purposes only)

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I read much about him online but cant seem to find any information of prints of this size. Maybe they were part of a wall mural?
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

It looks like they have a black border (except the bottom of the 2nd one). I think that would rule out them forming a larger mural. Is each one signed in the print?

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

ps.... I see the 2nd one does have that border on the bottom (the photo is just cropped).

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thanks to the other poster below, I looked up Cecil Aldin The Fallowfield Hunt and found this:

http://www.felixr.com/print-on-demand/explore/detail/3040/cecil-aldin-fallowfield-hunt-2

Message 7 of 7
latest reply