help with this signature, Thanks

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER
22 REPLIES 22

I'll repeat this to you:

People do not care to click on attachments to download unknown files.  In some cases, their security settings won't even allow it.  So, post the actual pictures here.  

Click "Reply" to your own post or to this post, and then use the camera icon that you will see on the menu bar to insert the photos. 

It's very easy.  You've done it each time before when you were asked to post pictures, not attachments.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

003.JPG004.JPG

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

thanks for reminder

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

@melda58 wrote:

Perhaps it's this artist, Hyan B. Yao:

I'm wondering if there is any other evidence of this artist's existence...

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

@melda58 wrote:

Perhaps it's this artist, Hyan B. Yao:

I'm wondering if there is any other evidence of this artist's existence...

Including the OPs painting, a google search pulls up 5 different paintings attributed to Yao.   One is coming up for auction next week from what seems like a well-established auction house, estimated at $100-200.   But to your point, I don't find any actual artist bio or information.  

Rita

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

@melda58 wrote:
Including the OPs painting, a google search pulls up 5 different paintings attributed to Yao.   One is coming up for auction next week from what seems like a well-established auction house, estimated at $100-200.

Are you able to provide a direct link to the others? I'm not seeing any of them, except the OP's and the one in your first link. (Some US sites are blocked from view over here because of GDPR,  so that might explain it.)

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

I think this might be that elusive factory artist that has stolen an ID and put it on his paintings. The two styles don't strike me as by the same hand,

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

@melda58 wrote:
Including the OPs painting, a google search pulls up 5 different paintings attributed to Yao.   One is coming up for auction next week from what seems like a well-established auction house, estimated at $100-200.

Are you able to provide a direct link to the others? I'm not seeing any of them, except the OP's and the one in your first link. (Some US sites are blocked from view over here because of GDPR,  so that might explain it.)

When I clicked on the images beneath which the titles gave Yao's name as artist, only   the same "lake" painting pops up instead of the ones in the images!  Strange.  So I guess besides OP's painting, this lake painting may be the only Yao (if there is a Yao.)

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/92502290_hyan-b-yao-oil-on-canvas-lake-with-sailboats

Rita

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

@melda58 wrote:

@argon38, here are some hits. I have to wonder if "liveauctioneers.com" is a legitimate site or not. You're right, only the first painting is a legitimate match for this artist.

image.png

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/92502290_hyan-b-yao-oil-on-canvas-lake-with-sailboats

Only the first link is to a painting attributed to Hyan B. Yao. The other links are to paintings by other artists; presumably those pictures are included on the page for Yao's painting.

Here is the actual lot description from the gallery that is offering that painting (Dumouchelles, in Detroit). Auction coming up Nov 19, 2020.

https://www.dumoart.com/LotSearch/2020110165/EQGYcD5utEyY7pJCbQxFcA/HYAN-YAO-OIL-ON-CANVAS-36-LAKE-W...

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

I think this might be that elusive factory artist that has stolen an ID and put it on his paintings. The two styles don't strike me as by the same hand,

I suspect that you have it (again)!

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

Very legit. A gathering of completed auction results in the art world. They don't charge for the info. They don't vet but simply report completed sales.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

From the Dumouchelles site I linked to before, a high-res image of the signature, enhanced to show detail. The signature appears to be the same hand, although the style of the painting is different.

https://www.dumoart.com/lotImages/202011/original/2020110165_00003_HYAN_YAO_OIL_ON_CANVAS_36_LAKE_WI...

image.png

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

I use it all the time.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply