cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VINTAGE FLATWARE SET ~ 12 OR MORE PLACE SETTINGS ~ MANY SERVING PIECES ~ BRASS (?)

Hello ~  any info on this  massive  set of  flatware...i have  not counted  them  but   it is at least a service for  12  or  more  place settings  ..counting them  all would  be daunting  but  will do it  before  listing  for sale  ...  pieces  are  heavy  appear  to be a shiny gold..assuming  they are  brass...no  tarnishing ..have  been  kept in the plastic  wraps...maybe  that  stopped  them  from  tarnishing...the seller informed me they  were  her  grandmothers  and  are  old/vintage...most  likely  never  used.....all are  here...took a few  out for individual photos..in a wooden case...4 sections,  all slide back into the  box and   have  locks to keep them in  and a handle..the lining  is  very  thick  tapestry...any info on who the carving is representing on the  ends of  each  piece...any idea of  circa or  value...want to sell....thanks  all ~ IMG_2226 (2).JPGIMG_2223 (2).JPGIMG_2217 (2).JPGIMG_2218 (2).JPGIMG_2220 (2).JPG

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: VINTAGE FLATWARE SET ~ 12 OR MORE PLACE SETTINGS ~ MANY SERVING PIECES ~ BRASS (?)

THE  TRUE  COLOR OF THESE ARE IN THE  ONE  PHOTO THAT IS  SHOWING  THEM  WITH THE LOOK OF  GOLD....OTHERS ARE DISTORTED  COLR  FORM THE CAMERA...WIL TRY TO GET MORE  SHOWING THE TRUE VRY  SHINY GOLD  COLOR   ( BRASS?)  VERY  HEAVY....

IMG_2217 (2).JPG  GOLD  COLOR

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Re: VINTAGE FLATWARE SET ~ 12 OR MORE PLACE SETTINGS ~ MANY SERVING PIECES ~ BRASS (?)

Well, that little figure on each is Thai.  So they are from Thailand, for starters.  They look like brass, but I'm not sure.  Here are many other examples of such boxed sets from Thailand: 

https://www.google.com/search?q=Thai+flatware&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwia8NDf8t_wAhXXbc0...

=

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

This may be the alloy, the links are quite an interesting read:

https://www.worthpoint.com/articles/collectibles/unloved-antiques-bronze-flatware 

https://www.finishing.com/153/03.shtml 

Yes, it could be, which is why I said I was unsure.  I did notice "nickel bronze" stuff among the photos on the Google image link I have, and it looked rather like OP's flatware.  The case that OP's flatware is in made me think 1960s-1970s, for sure, as did the temple dancer.  But I figured OP could take it from there, from the info and link provided.   

=

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

These were popular things for military people to buy and bring home to the U.S.

Janet

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

ha! I just picked one of these up too. Neat locking/latching, tiered wood case with red [more pinkish] velvet inside. Haven't started the research yet. All I got was on mine so far was '60s Thai tourist piece, maybe brass. Cheers, michael

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@mendocinosocialclub wrote:

All I got was on mine so far was '60s Thai tourist piece, maybe brass.

Check out my links in message #4.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply