cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusual handmade table runner or cloth with beads and metal coin shaped objects. Please help

Unusual handmade table runner or cloth with beads and metal coin shaped objects. Looks very old. Does anyone have any idea where it was made and what it iseb5829.jpgeb5830.jpgeb5831.jpg. Thank you for you help.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Unusual handmade table runner or cloth with beads and metal coin shaped objects. Please help

Rather than a table runner, your item is likely to turn out to be a camel saddle blanket or some such.

Debora

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Rather than a table runner, your item is likely to turn out to be a camel saddle blanket or some such.

Debora

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Without knowing the size, it's hard to say anything about it.  But, assuming the size is appropriate to the use, I agree with Debora that it's more than likely to be a North African / Near Eastern saddle cloth.  The non-irritating, plain middle section is designed to be placed directly under the saddle, of course. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I also believe it is a saddle blanket/cloth.

It appears to be a linen base cloth (probably purchased) with extensive hand embroidery in several different styles and bead, button, sequin (recycled) embellishments.

Not that it matters, but like linen undergarments, I believe this was intended to go next to the animal, then a felt or wool blanket before the saddle.

The tree of life and leaf pattern makes me think Persian.

These have similar base fabric, but the embroidery is quite heavy, perhaps yours is older?

Persian Tribal Handmade Tribal Horse Saddle Blanket.

Handsome Horse Cover - Antique Qashqai Saddle Blanket - Persian.

The sort of magpie nature of the embellishment also makes me think Bedouin.

search Persian saddle

Though Afghanistan may be a key word, I believe the Afghan blankets are more richly decorated with numerous tassels.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I assume you're just giving examples of the embroidery, trying to identify it as Persian?  Because your links are to saddle covers, which go over the saddle and not underneath it. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

I assume you're just giving examples of the embroidery, trying to identify it as Persian?  Because your links are to saddle covers, which go over the saddle and not underneath it. 

Thanks for pointing that out. I was looking at material and design motif.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thank you all for your help.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply