cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Morgan & Peace Silver Dollar Fraud

Contacted ebay 12 days ago. Dealer on ebay sells 100% fake silver dollars. Texted ebay with complaint and chatted with agent on ebay.  Seller still selling. Any thoughts as to why no action? At what point does ebay become personally liable? 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: US Morgan & Peace Silver Dollar Fraud

So I'm done with the topic I created as it is pointless. It's evident that many have registered similar complaints to ebay and it has chosen to ignore the issue. It all boils down to 'Buyer Beware'.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 9 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Just reporting a fraudulent listing to ebay will never get any action from ebay.   First, you have no credibility with ebay as an expert on the item.   Second, you may be a malicious competitor trying to reduce your competition.

The best way to report such items is to buy one and then open a case for item not as described with ebay.   Enough of those type actions and then ebay will act.   In the meantime you will get your money back.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for your reply. No expert required. In this particular case a 5 year old could make the call on this fraud, so I figured someone at ebay could as well. Guess not.  This dealers sells dozens a day with an inventory of 1000+ listed. I hate fraud and feel for those who've been ripped off.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I don't understand why you bought it in the first place if you had all of this knowledge beforehand. It's a seller, not ebay who was selling it.

if ebay has a 100% money-back refund policy where is the problem? Just get your money back, learn a little and move on.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I didn't buy it. Not that stupid. My only reason for contacting ebay was to point out the fraud so it would get stopped, save everyone a lot of grief.  I assumed the button to report a seller was placed there by ebay for a reason. Maybe it's an idiot button, but use of it does not require a purchase. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

There is a Coin & Paper Money eBay Group - those folks would likely know more about your issue.

Rita

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Thanks Rita. That group is an eye opener. Apparently counterfeit coins are rampant on ebay and other members are asking the same question as I.

Bottom line is ebay isn't dealing with the massive amount of fraud coin sales on its site. Maybe because it's too profitable?

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Ebay is not liable, it is protected by Section 230.

But I am certain that they have automated tools operating which act on excess buyer MBG claims.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

So I'm done with the topic I created as it is pointless. It's evident that many have registered similar complaints to ebay and it has chosen to ignore the issue. It all boils down to 'Buyer Beware'.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply