cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to identify a Chesterfield Christmas poster

Cant seem to find another like it in my searches. Wanted to know a few things, like year, who is the person in the add, and possible value if I were to sell it. Havent taken out of frame but appears to be in good shape. Thanks. 

20200706_123352.jpg

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Trying to identify a Chesterfield Christmas poster

I'll take a shot at Rod Serling.  Looks like him, and Twilight Zone was sponsored by Chesterfields.  Just a guess for you to think over.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Buddy Epsen? (might just be a generic image though).

Style looks late 1950s or very early 60s. Maybe you could compare the packaging designs for cartons.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's an ad showing the same carton design. I think they are stating it's "new". 

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=j2GXYDaq&id=3062FECF3D62802D7B7350715A1CD5A265...

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I get more of a 60s than a 50s feel from it, but of course I could be wrong. Interesting background article here:

https://www.chesterfieldobserver.com/articles/where-theres-smoke-2/ 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I can't really give you much help to identify the poster. But the dude's picture on the poster looks like "either Race Bannon or Mike Pence," although I can't see where Race would be promoting unhealthy behavior, however, due to recent events, I don't believe I can say the same thing as for Mike. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

This "pin" with the same box design puts the date at 1956. The man is not the same one as in OPs but OPs man could be Cary Grant because of the chin cleft, but as palmlucky said could just be generic. https://www.pinterest.ch/pin/762586149377836390/ Rita
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Although the list of celebrities who did ads for Chesterfield cigarettes is a very long one, I think this is "just a guy."  The point of the ad is that Chesterfields "satisfy just about everyone," so a carton makes a good Christmas gift.

My mother always bought a few cartons of cigarettes around Christmas, wrapped them, and had them on hand for gifts for unexpected visitors.  I know that's hard for people to believe now.  But smoking was common, inexpensive, and without stigma.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

-I agree with maxine that it's probably just a generic guy drawing...& I  never realized before that she & I might have had the same mom...handing out Christmas cigs from a stash for unexpected holiday guests , ha-ha!.

-The Chesterfields here have the holiday packaging, but I can remember ones that even had a To /From printed on the carton so they didn't even have to be wrapped.

-If you google around you'll see that most old time cigarette ads IDed any celebs involved  & often had in the fine print something like : See "bighonkin' star X" in his/her new release "Insert Movie Name Here"!

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@yankeebob1951 wrote:

-I agree with maxine that it's probably just a generic guy drawing...& I  never realized before that she & I might have had the same mom...

Bobby!  Is that you?  Did you really join the circus when you ran away?

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I don't think it would have been Pence as he would have had to ask "Mother" first (he calls his wife Mother) and she's not down with the whole smoking groove.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Forgot to follow up on this post, but just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their input. 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply