cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Hart Report Monotype ~ can anyone identify this at all please?

Hi all, I have this and no longer want it but have no idea if I should car boot it or if it's a contemporary masterpiece?! I inherited it and don't know anything about it at all. If there are any knowledgeable people who recognise anything about this I would be grateful for any info at all. Fingers crossed and thank you. 

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: The Hart Report Monotype ~ can anyone identify this at all please?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monotyping

This link is some information on the monotype print.   It is most likely English by the price label,, and the artist's name ends in _arris.  So if no one comes along who knows more you can do a search on findartinfo.com for names *arris + England + monotype.  Just entering "monotype" in the search box will bring up many sold at auction with prices all over the place, and some extremely high in 6 figures.   So before you discard it, some research would be in order I think.    I didn't find any leads for Hart Report.  

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

The "Hart Report" that comes to mind is the one on systematic child abuse by the Church and other institutions in Northern Ireland.  The inquiry was chaired by Sir Anthony Hart:

https://www.google.com/#q=ireland+hart+report

Depending on when the print was done, it could be related to that.  Worth thinking about, anyhow.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

'm also going to rotate, crop, and brighten your photo a bit so people can see the important bits without breaking their necks.

IMG_1469.JPG

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

The round elements in the print are pac-man like.   I knew they looked familiar.

Rita

Pacman, Pac-Man, Computer Game, Sprites

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Well, it's a reach, but here goes:

"Pac Man" was originally "paku-paku," which is to gobble something up, in Japanese.  If this print relates to the Hart Report at all, and if the elements in it were inspired by Pac-Man -- a couple of huge IFs -- I suppose it might be saying that the children' innocence, their childhoods, even their futures in many ways, were gobbled up by their abusers and by the people who turned a blind eye to the abuse.

Yeah, I know.  But it's been a long day and my mind is wobbling and drifting...   Smiley LOL

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Not too far fetched Maxine.  The other 2 elements look like helicopters and I can't quite make out what it is, but in the upper one, there seems to be a "pilot" that resembles a cartoon character whose name escapes me. 

Rita

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

WOW!  Not bad al all!

Trying to be the person my dogs always knew I could be
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

The "Hart Report" that comes to mind is the one on systematic child abuse by the Church and other institutions in Northern Ireland.  The inquiry was chaired by Sir Anthony Har:

https://www.google.com/#q=ireland+hart+report

I don't think it can be this Hart Report, Maxine - too recent (the enquiry was only set up in 2014, and the report itself only came out a few months ago). The subtle give-away is the "one pound ten shillings" price (£1. 10s.), which is pre-decimalisation in the UK (i.e. pre-1971). And the label has that older, typewritten look. But I don't know what Hart Report it can be referring to.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Possibly refers to a report produced by H.L.A. (Herbert) Hart (1907-1992) in 1968:

"In 1968 he was asked by Oxford University to chair a commission on relations with junior members, then at a low ebb, and produced a notably perceptive and constructive report."

http://www2.law.ox.ac.uk/jurisprudence/hart.htm

The above is just a guess, but it fits the British connection and the 1960s timescale. I'm quite certain the artwork is pre-Pacman!

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

The quality looks like the product of a high school art class.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

Possibly refers to a report produced by H.L.A. (Herbert) Hart (1907-1992) in 1968:

"In 1968 he was asked by Oxford University to chair a commission on relations with junior members, then at a low ebb, and produced a notably perceptive and constructive report."

http://www2.law.ox.ac.uk/jurisprudence/hart.htm

The above is just a guess, but it fits the British connection and the 1960s timescale. I'm quite certain the artwork is pre-Pacman!

Makes sense.   My first proviso was:  "Depending on when the print was done."  and I did put my IFs in all caps italic.    Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

The quality looks like the product of a high school art class.

I agree that it has the student look to it*, which is perhaps part of what made me see the Pac-Man elements as possible,  IFy,  but possible. 

*Or at least the look of an artist who has not yet matured

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

Makes sense.   My first proviso was:  "Depending on when the print was done."  and I did put my IFs in all caps italic.    Smiley Happy

Excuses. excuses... grinning

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

@maxine*j wrote:

Excuses. excuses... grinning

I stockpile them.  I have cupboards full of good excuses I haven't used.  The ones you see here are minor, almost feeble, things.  The best are still in reserve.

Smiley LOL

Message 15 of 16
latest reply