cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

THE STAR. What is this? Military badge or Order or something else ...

Hello my friends.

I need to attribute one interesting thing.

Star with black enamel.  With two hexagonal bastions and a Roman one in center.   Size: 5.4 cm.  2.125 inch.  Magnet does not take. Maybe is bronze. 

If you have any  questions I am ready to answer. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: THE STAR. What is this? Military badge or Order or something else ...

I don't recognize it.  For whatever it's worth, that might be the letter I (Greek Iota / Latin I) instead of the Roman numeral I (one).

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Don't recognize it but looks like a cap badge, but I don't think military.  More likely for a fraternal organization..

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I've never seen this one before, I gave it a good try. I don't think it is US, looks Russian but not sure.

You could post this on the military board too, they might know 🙂
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

It can be very difficult to identify items that were originally part of something larger.

You have speculated that this might be a military badge, but that was not my first thought. Because the item is curved, suggests that it was part of something else that was round (military badges tend to be flat). and secondly, because the shaft of the item is threaded would indicate that it was attached to a threaded bolt/sleeve (military pins are generally attached via a butterfly clutch or a tie tack). And lastly, I have seen something like this before but have been unsuccessful locating any photos of it.

Try searching the internet with the following keywords

• knob globe cane topper
  • Umbrella parasol handle
  • pool cue butt cap
  • tap handle

Something along those lines might turn up something interesting. My memory was of a walking cane with a globe handle and a metal insignia attached to the very top. It would have been easy to unscrew this emblem and replace it with something else. I don't think that it was designed to be user customizable, but instead the store/museum could order the walking canes with a custom emblem.

As for the emblem itself, you may be right on target with your phrase 'hexagonal bastions' also known as 'Star Forts'. Perhaps a little research in that area might reveal a star fort in italy or a place name that starts with the letter 'I' and also has a museum or gift shop where such an item could be found.

Good luck with your research, and please let us know if you find anything definitive.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Here is a quickly found image of the back of a US Navy cap badge.  It also has a slight curve.

capbadge.jpg

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Good day   

I bought this item from an old collector's widow. Along with other military and civilian badges. Because of the bastions, I think this is a military theme.
Badges with bastions are not uncommon in the Russian Empire. But on the cross, not on the star. 

I don't think the walking cane was part of it because the walking cane has a smooth surface, and here the bastions would cause the owner discomfort.

Maybe this was part of wand for Fortress Commandant. I do not know

Regards Nick

Message 8 of 8
latest reply