cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some kind of teapot? Help!

Been out of circulation for awhile - easing back in. Hoping someone can help me figure out what I have. Making lots of assumptions here but I think this brass (?) piece may be a teapot of some kind. I'll do my best to describe it. As for size it is about 7" long and about 7" high at the top of the handle. Only about 2 3/4" wide so it doesn't hold much.

The main body has a smaller round lidded  chamber that has a grate at the bottom that has seven 1/2" holes in it. There is an oval opening at the bottom of the main body that opens to this chamber - I'm thinking this chamber held some kind of combustible material - coal? The oval opening provides air?

The other larger opening holds a separate round "tube" that has a closed bottom and a handle. It too has a very small spout. The opening at the top is somewhat decorative. In the photo you can see that the top of the main body has a hinge and that the side where the larger opening is opens up. This "tube" doesn't hold much - maybe 4-5 ounces?

So, a heat chamber, a removable 4-5 ounce container with a spout and an open larger chamber that would allow heated liquid to circulate around the smaller chamber. The larger chamber also has a spout. Very well made. No markings other that the floral engraving/etching on the sides of the main body.  Seems old but... Found something called a samovar that has an internal heat component but they are all much larger. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance - Mark

teapot (2).jpgteapot (3).jpgteapot (4).jpgteapot (5).jpgteapot (1).jpgteapot (6).jpg

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

An image search brings up this.  don't know if it's correctly identified, or not, but it's a place to start as to what the item may be.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/67461830_meiji-japanese-brass-hibachi-teapot-coal-water-heater

=

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

An image search brings up this.  don't know if it's correctly identified, or not, but it's a place to start as to what the item may be.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/67461830_meiji-japanese-brass-hibachi-teapot-coal-water-heater

=

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

And here's something else that came up in the image search and is said to be listed on eBay, under "Japanese brazier" or somesuch, but I didn't look for the listing:

images.jpeg

=

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Thanks Maxine - my image search didn't pull this up for some reason. I'll follow this lead. You're the best!  Mark

Message 4 of 4
latest reply