cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snoopy Art work

Hello and good afternoon, in the Early 70 my parents purchased the 2 Snoopy art work pieces from Mexico, any help in ID of the Artist and Value would be helpful, thank you..

Sigs70

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Snoopy Art work

Evidently, Snoopy was a popular subject for velt paintings (although I'm sure the artists were not licensed. to use the Peanuts characters).

Anyhow, here are a bunch:
https://www.google.com/search?q=snoopy+on+velvet+mexico&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjpn8Wu2...

These are from Worthpoint:
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1303&bih=677&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=SWgjXZ7qAeuzggeWzYvQCQ&q=snoopy+on+v...

These are eBay Completed Listings and if you scroll through you'll find a few Snoopys:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=snoopy+velvet+painting+mexico&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Comp...

By the way, one of the ones on Worthpoint has a signature that seems similr to yours and is listed as being by "Price."  I'm quite dubious about that interpretation of the signature, but you can look into it further.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

By the way, one of the ones on Worthpoint has a signature that seems similr to yours and is listed as being by "Price."  I'm quite dubious about that interpretation of the signature, but you can look into it further.

Looks to me like the sig could be "Paz"...Spanish for the English word "Peace" .

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@yankeebob1951 wrote:

@maxine*j wrote:

Looks to me like the sig could be "Paz"...Spanish for the English word "Peace" .

You know, that was my take on it, too, at a glance;  but I didn't care enough to take it further since neither Snoopy nor velvet painting has any appeal to me.  OP should definitely check out "Paz," though. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Vintage paintings on black velvet, depending on subject, and depending on artist.. can have high appeal.

The vast majority don't.

I have several Snoopy paintings, comparable to the OP's.  I bought them with the intention of .. (gasp)  painting over them.  Putting a different scene on them.

The OP's paintings are severely mass produced.

Artist signatures, at least on over-produced Snoopy paintings.. are nothing I'd invest time in.  (in my opinion)

Yes, I hope the OP finds more information specific to their paintings.

Myself?  I paid probably 3 dollars each for mine.  I would sell them for 5 to 10 dollars each.  

I'd expect no 'home run' selling these.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

You may want to research into the legality of trying to sell them on eBay.

If these were mass produced by a local artist in Mexico with the intent of profiting off them they would be in violation of trademarks and copyrights. I seriously doubt if they officially licensed them.

You could receive a DCMA or Cease and Desist order if they were reported and the intellectual property rights owner considered them as counterfeit unlicensed goods. You own the copyright on the photos you created of the paintings, but not the intellectual property associated with Peanuts.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

I think this seller has got it right: Pérez. The signature is clearer on their item, but it appears to be the same as the OP's:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Handcrafted-Velvet-Painting-Snoopy-Red-Baron-Flying-Ace-by-Perez-1970s-...

Message 7 of 7
latest reply