cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SILVER SPOON

I found a silver spoon at a yard sale. It's marked STERLING SILVER G.G. OVERN KATHRYN N.D. 6 1/4 " long. Appears to be some sort of serving spoon. This is all I could find out. There was a G.G. Overn who ran a creamery with his wife in Kathryn, North Dakota between 1900-10. I figure this is something that he did on the side so I'm assuming there can't be a bunch of it out there. Any further info or value would be helpful. Thanks, Steve

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: SILVER SPOON

Without pictures, it's impossible to for sure what you have.

It would seem to me more likely that you're looking at the owner's marks rather than the maker's mark.  People did (and do) have their names engraved on flatware used at home and used commercially.   But making sterling silver flatware as a "side line" to operating a creamery seems really unlikely.

Pictures, please?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

It's definitely the maker's mark. Do a google search for gg overn spoon and you will find one similar.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I did that.  I found one spoon and your question here.  The other spoon was on Worthpoint, from an eBay sale. It was identified as a "medical spoon" and the abbreviation "N.D." was misread as "M.D."  

I don't use eBay as a primary source because the majority of antiques, antiquities, and collectibles listed on eBay are misidentified or misrepresented (innocently or intentionally). 

But that's just me, and you have definitely identified the spoon to your own satisfaction, and you feel no need to provide pictures, so I guess I don't know what your question is.  I hope someone comes along who can help.

I didn't read he deatils, by the way, but I saw that G.G. Overn also held at least one patent, and that he was still in business in Kathryn, ND, in the 1920s.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Hi-  that’s my great grandfather. He was a maker of silverware by hand when he came from Norway. There isn’t a lot of it- he lived in Kathryn as did two other generations after.  Are you selling the spoon? This is an old post- just checking as my dad, his grandson, is still around. Thanks!

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Is the a good reason that you won't post a photo? Front and back please.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply