cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent estate find Please Help ID

Vintage (believed to be hand-painted) artwork, no signature or identification that I can see. Any help would be REALLY appreciated.

100_3741.JPG100_3742.JPG100_3743.JPG100_3744.JPG

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Recent estate find Please Help ID

So when I looked at it from/with a loupe it looked like a piece of canvas. It also did not look like a print ~ like the colors seem to be blending together.  I tried to enlarge a piece of my photo of some trees and this is kinda what it looked like through the loupe.

100_3816 (3).JPG

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

OK Thanks for the extra photos. From what I can now see, I believe it an original watercolor. What you need to do now is take even better pics of the sig and send those pics along with your latest to Christie's & Sotheby's and get free auction estimates from both. No need to pay for an appraisal.  You will get a provisional estimate prior to a hand's on inspection. Do you have any provanance? Or a name of the last owner? Send that along with your request.I can't say it is 100% but it's close enough to get the ball rolling.

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

Oh wait! I just saw your last photo and I'm seeing a mechanical printing technique (see all the lines?) unless that is created by your camera. I would hold off on all that I just told you till you resolve if it is a print or original.

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

Are you talking about the lighter color of off white? Going from left to right? Cause that's just an actual part of the painting ~ like in the middle of the painting where the trees are then there's some white. (I enlarged it A LOT) But I will look into Christie's & Sotheby's. Thanks for your help.
Message 19 of 26
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

Oh wait! I just saw your last photo and I'm seeing a mechanical printing technique (see all the lines?) unless that is created by your camera. I would hold off on all that I just told you till you resolve if it is a print or original.

This is an enlargement of the top-right corner of the enlarged picture.image.png

@sonomabarn67, are you referring to the squares or U-shapes that seem to be all over the painting? I would be concerned about them as well, although I'm not sure if they are the result of a mechanical printing technique. What technique did you think might have been used?

I thought it was possible that they were a texture in the paper ... not sure I have seen one like that before, but I thought it was a possibility.

@cabin4collections, is this on paper, or some other media? Or is it maybe paper that is stuck down onto something else? (Just guessing.) Can you find an area of paper that doesn't have any paint or ink on it, where you can see the surface of the paper to tell if it is textured?

Looking at the picture of the "back" I'm a bit surprised by the dark tan shade that it appears to be. On second thought, the other rectangle looks like it might be a piece of corrugated(?) cardboard? If there was cardboard pressed against the back of the painting in the frame, then the tan color on the back might be a result of exposure to acid in the cardboard. If that's so, then you should maybe not put it back in the original frame, which appears to be a bit small as well as not using archival mat and backing to protect the painting/print.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

It could be an off-gassing transfer effect like mat burn. I have no idea of the technique but only a hands on inspection can validate what is going on at this point. This why asking for those crystal clear close ups is so important. 

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

If the piece is authentic it should look like watercolor paper and watercolor pigment and no lines, dots, & dashes.

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

"An approved valuer for the federal government's Cultural Gifts Program, Hulme admits it is difficult even for an expert to distinguish between an original Namatjira watercolour valued at up to $30,000 and a worthless print."

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/art-and-design/six-bucks-for-a-namatjira-look-again-20120324-1v...

I would suggest the OP should get in touch with the art consultant mentioned in the above article, given that he invested some time and effort in verifying that the Namatjira watercolour in question was an original work and not a print.

Mr Hulme's contact details:

https://www.acaa.org.au/product-page/david-hulme

His firm's free appraisal page:

https://www.bhfineart.com/free-art-appraisal/

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

Yes ... watercolor paper is made with many different kinds of textures, from very smooth to very textured. I thought that possibly the marks that show up in the enlargement might be from the texture of the paper.

I did a google search for < textured watercolor paper > look for pictures to show this. These are just a few examples.

This pictures shows two types of Arches Aquarelle Watercolor Paper, which is a well-known brand.image.png

And three types of Saunders Waterford Watercolour Paper - HP means Hot Pressed (which is quite smooth).image.png

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

All I'm seeing is blurred lines. I do know about screens used in making art papers and the artist was producing when actual rag paper was being produced, but her close up is just bizarre looking.  All the more reason to not rely on blurred internet pics and to have it looked at with a human eye. Well that sounds bizarre too. grinning

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

...have it looked at with a human eye...

Yes.  It is definitiely time for that.

Message 26 of 26
latest reply