cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help translate Polish painting with Protective Agency Conservatory markings

I have a triology of angel paintings with this Polish writing on the back. A Polish translator was little help. Does anyone know what it means? Also I need help identifying the Artist. The paintings have a lumpy textured finish. 

Is there a name for that? Thank you for any information you have.

DSCF3152.jpg

DSCF3154.jpg

DSCF3156.jpg

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Please help translate Polish painting with Protective Agency Conservatory markings

Without seeing the actual painting - not just a small corner of it -  the art experts here might not be able to help you.   

Rita

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Re: Please help translate Polish painting with Protective Agency Conservatory markings

Here's one of the angels, with close ups. 

DSCF3155.JPG

DSCF3160.JPG

DSCF3161.JPG

   

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

Yes, it would help to see the whole thing. But this is what it says on the back:

WOJEWÓDZKI URZĄD
OCHRONY ZABYTKÓW

Białymstoku
DELEGATURA W ŁOMŻY
ul. Nowa 2
tel./fax. (086) 216-34-08

Z. up[oważnienia] PODLASKIEGO WOJEWÓDZKIEGO
KONSERWATORA ZABYTKÓW

Wiesława Szymańska

KIEROWNIK DELEGATURY W ŁOMŻY

===

VOIVODESHIP [= Provincial] OFFICE
FOR THE PROTECTION OF MONUMENTS
in Bialystok
DELEGATION IN ŁOMŻA
2 Nowa Street
tel./fax (086) 216-34-08

[Signed] on behalf of the KEEPER OF MONUMENTS
OF THE PODLASKIE VOIVODESHIP [= Podlasie Province]

Wiesława Szymańska
HEAD OF THE DELEGATION IN ŁOMŻA

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

I had an in-law who was Polish, and she said the language baffled even her at times.   Google translate shows the word  zabytek  to mean monument, but also "relic" or "antique".  I wonder if "antique" is the better translation here?  

Is the painting being certified as antique -- or, more likely, as not  antique -- for export purposes?   I say not  because I found that it's illegal to export any item made before 1945 from Poland without the right paperwork.  And just based on the tiny bit I can see, OP's painting doesn't look old.

Just a thought.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

Thank you for responding. Here is one of the Angels:

DSCF3155.JPGDSCF3160.JPGDSCF3161.JPG

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Thank you for responding. Here is one of the Angels:

DSCF3155.JPG

DSCF3160.JPG

DSCF3161.JPG

   

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

Thank you for your responses. Here is one of the Angels.DSCF3155.JPGDSCF3160.JPGDSCF3161.JPG

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

I had an in-law who was Polish, and she said the language baffled even her at times.   Google translate shows the word  zabytek  to mean monument, but also "relic" or "antique".  I wonder if "antique" is the better translation here? 

I had to double-check the word before posting, since I obviously don't know Polish! I ended up going with  "monuments" as the translation because of this:

monuments.png

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=S6A4AAAAMAAJ&pg=PA299&lpg=PA299&dq=%22OCHRONY+ZABYTK%C3%93W%22+%... 

Of course it's a question of cultural monuments, not restricted to immovable buildings. It would surely extend to cover historical artworks of social significance, but I dont believe "antiques" fully captures the meaning.

This Wikipedia article (in Polish) lists the tasks of the "Wojewódzki konserwator zabytków" under the law:

https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wojew%C3%B3dzki_konserwator_zabytk%C3%B3w 

As to why the OP's piece carries the stamp, I'm not sure. Possibly to mark it as an authorised copy of some important work? I really don't know.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

Okay.  It was just a thought.  OP chooses not to show the work itself, or give us any other information about it.  Since I'm not a translator and shouldn't even have made an attempt, I've merely wasted your, OP's, and my own time. 

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

Thank you for your responses. Here is one of the Angels.

DSCF3155.JPG

DSCF3160.JPG

DSCF3161.JPG

   

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

Oh no. I didn't mean to repeat repeat repeat. I kept getting error messages.  How do I delete the extra posts? Thanks again!

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

That's surely no angel.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

Winged, long legged, nymphs, then. I see Angels. The other two are playing violins, clothed. I can post a pic of all three, later, if it will help. Thanks again all! I don't mean to be rude.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

@fries-with-that wrote:

Winged, long legged, nymphs, then. I see Angels. The other two are playing violins, clothed. I can post a pic of all three, later, if it will help. Thanks again all! I don't mean to be rude.

Yes, please post all three if you can. You're not being rude in any way, but it's not an angel! Nymph, I'll buy.

Message 15 of 27
latest reply