cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help in dating these pieces please

Picked these up the other day and wondering how old they might be. These were handmade and the material that forms the base seems be be getting brownish. They are not mounted or anything. Just raw finish.20190321_194508.jpg

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Please help in dating these pieces please

The last item similar to this one I sold was a seat cover from an old chair. The undecorated ends are typically wrapped around the wood edges of the seat and stapled or attached with small nails. There would typically be padding under this cover (even horse hair) and additional materials added to cover up the edges and staples / nails.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I don't think the age of needlepoint work is relevant.  most popular in the 1940s and 1980s

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

These were usually sold as printed canvas and in kits . I am unsure exactly when, people were making these from patterns in the 1920s, and like md1919 said in the 1940s and  1980s. Aunt Martha's was selling printed patterns in the early 1930s, I am unsure when printed canvas started, but as stated previously, that may not matter. The yarn style and color, and type of canvas could help determine the date to anyone interested.

They come up quite regularly on eBay. check sold listings for Needlepoint.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply