cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help identify this Japanese man figurine

Please help me identify this Japanese man (10" tall X 4" wide).  He is very well made and I can't tell whether he is a candle  or incense holder or perhaps he has another use.  I have searched ebay and the web and cannot find another like him.  Thanks for any help you can give me.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Please help identify this Japanese man figurine

Beats me, but it's intriguing.  The hat and the round eyes almost seem like some of the early depictions of "Englishmen." 

IMG_1203.JPG

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Looks like a modern for tourist tchotchke to me
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Oh, it's definitely modern -- the sticker makes that obvious -- but what the heck do you think this person and the strange ghost-like creature represent?  Beats heck out of me.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Thank you for the replies.  I too wondered about the ghost like creature between his legs.   Japanese items can be very symbolic - I'm hoping someone will know what he represents.  Thanks,  Anne

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thank you for the replies.  I too wondered about the ghost like creature between his legs.   Japanese items can be very symbolic - I'm hoping someone will know what he represents.  Thanks,  Anne

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I think its a foo dog without a lot of detail
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@lovetoteach53 wrote:

When in doubt, just say it symbolises good luck and prosperity... sunglasses

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

It is like a Buda symbol for making offerings.  Sometines its a crumb of bread, sometimes a few grains of rice.  Usually a daily offering before consuming evening family meal.

Terry Thomas
Message 9 of 9
latest reply