cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help identify 7-up Glass

It’s got a yellow submarine in the glass.  “Wet un wild” era.  Can not find that another one exists. Does anyone know about these and possible value?  Thanks 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Please help identify 7-up Glass

Here's one that sold recently on eBay...unfortunately not much detail on item's history in the listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-7-UP-THE-UNCOLA-SUBMARINE-PROMO-COLLECTORS-GLASS-G210-/202606335507...

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I have to point out the photo in the original post and the photo in that listing appear to be identical.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@eclectic-co 

And the OP appears to be the buyer of that listing, judging by feedback numbers.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Hi, yes, I did buy it.  I just can't find anything else about it.  I think that it's from that "yellow submarine" era -- but cannot find anything else about it.  Would love to learn more about it's origin.  When did it come out?  Were they sold?  Were they just promos?  anything.  Thanks all

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I tried to find another example and had no luck. I agree that it looks to be from that Pop Art advertising campaign 7-UP had going during the late 60's / early 70's. They used that green bottle submarine (no doubt taken from the Beatles' Yellow Submarine) for several of their ads back then. I wish I could be more help. It's a nice looking glass...and should have crossover appeal. I could see collectors of 7-UP memorabilia, fans of Pop Art, and perhaps even Beatles collectors being interested in it. I hope you're able to find more info on it...

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

The submarine artwork  is from 1969- designed by Ed George at the J. Walter Thompson advertising company, it was used as a billboard and sold as posters. The cup could have been a promotional item but there just isn't much information, as you say.

I don't know anything else.

I found one other similar cup but no information on it.

download.jpgw.JPG

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Thanks all. I love an enigma....I may reach out to some soda collector sites and see if they know more.  I'll share my findings.  I appreciate the help.  Happy eBaying!

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

This will tell you all about that promotion:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/beatles-yellow-submarine-7up-uncola-1757712866

"Here is an incredible addition to your soft drink advertising collection or BEATLES collection or 7up Collection. This colorful plastic tumbler is from the late 1960s. I did some online research and the "Wet un Wild" and "The UnCola" campaign by 7up ran in the mid to late 1960s. Well, the Yellow Submarine film with The Beatles came out in 1968 and here you have the Peter Max style artwork along with the Beatles theme on a 7up tumbler. This fine piece is in excellent to Near Mint condition. It measures about 6-1/2" tall and 3" across at the mouth. It has 2 images of the submarine making it's way around the tumbler. Under the base - and you might be able to read it on one of my 6 images - are the words "Made in U.S.A." and under that it says "THERMO-SERV" and under that it says "a division of West Bend" (I guess that means it was made here in Wisconsin about an hour north of Milwaukee back in the late 1960s). It's a sturdy mug. Once again there was obviously no license granted by The Beatles but we all know what 7up had in mind when this was produced. This is another relic from a past Beatlefest in Chicago sometime in the 1980s and I have never seen one of these on eBay. Very, very rare."

(above is quote from that webpage)

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

More on that advertising campaign:

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/collecting-7ups-most-beautiful-hallucinatory-billboards/

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 10 of 10
latest reply