cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paris Oil On Canvas By Villon?, Villo? Villor?

Hi, I have this 20" by 16" oil on canvas of a Parisian street scene. It is signed illegibly. Does anyone recognize this artist? I know there were thousands of street painters over the years in Paris, so it would be difficult to figure out unless he or her gained recognition. It appears to be mid 20th century, but attire is more victorian. This one is pretty well done in my opinion, with the exeption of that very large poodle, LOL. Thank you in advance for any insight.

greg
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

The stretcher says 50's, the car at the end of the block says 50's, the paint has artistic merit when compared to the usual French potboiler paintings. Looks like it was reframed. The name?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Possibly Eugene Villon?  The fashion says circa 1900-10.  Here is painting of his with a similar palette to yours:

Rita

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

The women are both wearing bustles, which would date their clothing to the 1880s.

Debora

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

But the canvas and stretcher say 1950's, so maybe someone painting in a historical style with a car at the end of the block?

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I don't see a car at the end of the block. Nor do I see the the stretcher saying 1950s. (Do you mean written on it or in style of?) But I certainly think an old thymey painting of the Champs-Élysées.  Frame looks 1960s and I'd think execution a bit before then.  Certainly not the quality of Eugene Villon and not his signature.  I'd think department store art.

Debora

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

"Frame looks 1960s and I'd think execution a bit before then"

As in 1950's like I mentioned? This type of wooden keyed stretcher lasted from 1890's till the 1960's+. Lacking a stretcher maker's stamp, or date by the artist, we only can look at style & oxidation of the wood itself to guess the age. Very dark brown tends earlier and lighter tones later.  That can be thrown off by storage and atmospheric conditions (unknowns). Coal burning furnaces throw it all into a tailspin usually  ending up black/brown.  The rounded shape "car"  at the end of the block is all I can make of it with no close ups. A time goof up like that is not unknown.

Although I can't prove it because we don't have a bio to reference, it looks better quality than "dep store art" which is right in there with potboilers and "factory art". JMHO

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

The poodle is likely intended to be a Standard Poodle which are large dogs in the 50 to 70 lb range approx. They have the same basic features as the Toy Poodles and they are often trimmed in the same Poodle cuts.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Looks 1950s to my eye.  

Debora

Message 9 of 9
latest reply