Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old fabric help please

IMG_0001.JPGIMG_0005.jpgIMG_0006.jpgIMG_0008.jpgIMG_0001.JPG

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Old fabric help please

Hard to say without having it in hand, but the fabric appears to be chintz, a glazed calico.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Old fabric help please

What is your question?

Rita

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Old fabric help please

According to this 1922 article, "Superlizarine" colors were used "exclusively" in the printing of Marshall Fields & Co.'s decorative fabrics.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=cp52EGYIeFgC&pg=RA3-PA21&lpg=RA3-PA21&dq=%22Superlizarine%22&sou...

Debora

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Old fabric help please

I have no idea what it is? Just hoping to learn more. I want to sell it.

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated to get any help.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Old fabric help please

Thanks so much Debra! Wow 1922

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Old fabric help please

That doesn't mean your fabric dates from the 1920s.  They may have used that term for decades.  And I don't see chintz which has a polished surface.  I see linen.

Debora

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Old fabric help please

@debora_34_ wrote:

That doesn't mean your fabric dates from the 1920s.  They may have used that term for decades.  And I don't see chintz which has a polished surface.  I see linen.

Debora

Definitely.  And on a couple of other venues, I found fabrics using the "Superlizarine" dyes pretty identified as from the 1940s, in one case, and c. 1910, in another.

This is a very minor point, but...  As far as I can tell from Googling, Marshall Fields may have used "Superlizarine colors" exclusively, but they weren't the exclusive users of them.  I found old newspaper ads, the earliest I saw being 1914, with reference to other retailers selling fabrics that used the "Superlizarine" dyes. 

In one ad, the fabric dyed with them was described as "sun-fast and tub-proof."  Given the brilliant colors of OP's piece and others I found, they must have been great dyes, at that.  Smiley Happy

I wondered if the name is from alizarin crimson, but I never found any info about the dyes themselves, just references to fabrics colored with them.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Old fabric help please

Thank you for correcting my information and adding your own.  

Debora

Message 9 of 9
latest reply