cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Eisenberg Original Mexico Silver brooch stone identification

I’m getting mixed opinions on these stones. I think green onyx.  More thoughts please. Thank you, Sue1AE7F835-38E0-4533-A292-233CB676708D.jpeg5DA8B86A-0CE9-4F2F-A096-EACD0184C26A.jpeg145944E6-8772-495E-9B2B-6F99C6DF783C.jpegBE398B64-0692-47C5-9509-5556D23C460D.jpeg

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Why dont you take this to the jewelry board?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Why dont you take this to the jewelry board?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Ok, Thank you. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

One possibility is that these are opercula.  The operculum is a round piece used to seal the shell of a marine mollusc.

54c191f1951d3ba92458008526387a66.jpg

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@all_fakes wrote:

One possibility is that these are opercula.  The operculum is a round piece used to seal the shell of a marine mollusc.

I think that's a very good guess.  Given the size of this piece, if the "stones" were actually "stones" (agate or onyx or chalcedony or the like), the thing would be awfully heavy, even for a coat pin.  I also read that the operculum's flat side, where it attaches to the animal, is rough and so opercula are usually in solid settings like the ones in OP's pin.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply