cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with identifying and the maker of this brass twin triton statue figurine

There are no marks on statue, and have not had any luck searching the web. 

I purchased this from a couple that stated they had this for many years and they had purchased it from an old museum that closed.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

0828191046_Film1.jpg0828191046_Film1~2.jpg0828191046a_Film1.jpg

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: Need help with identifying and the maker of this brass twin triton statue figurine

yes, but not sure of maker?  thanks for response.

Message 16 of 42
latest reply

Re: Need help with identifying and the maker of this brass twin triton statue figurine

I appreciate you response. The only ? I have to this is that the pics on link show mermaids that are busty and with long hair, these have short hair and flat chested. Are there mermaids as the ones on the figurine? Thanks.
Message 17 of 42
latest reply

Sorry, just read 2nd response.
Message 18 of 42
latest reply

lol
Message 19 of 42
latest reply

Thank you, very interesting.
Message 20 of 42
latest reply

ok, thanks!
Message 21 of 42
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

Maybe they supported a glass table-top, like these:

Actually forget the above - a bowl is more likely, as palmtreelucky suggests, since their hands are not flat. "Putti di mare" seems to be a good search term.

Message 23 of 42
latest reply

See this eBay listing for a very closely-related design (but no clue as to maker or purpose):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Silver-plate-over-brass-Mermen-troglodyte-Froglodyte-/192875160830 

Message 24 of 42
latest reply

Thank you, would have never thought to look at something like these, very interesting.
Message 25 of 42
latest reply

awesome!!! thankyou!
Message 26 of 42
latest reply

I only wish the last link was more helpful. Very frustrating to track down something so similar only to find that the seller doesn't know anything about it. "Troglodyte Froglodyte"?!

Message 27 of 42
latest reply

I agree, but you have been very helpful and I will continue to search by different descriptions. Hopefully with you insight I'll be able to find something.

Thank you very much!
Message 28 of 42
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

@argon38 wrote:

Actually forget the above - a bowl is more likely, as palmtreelucky suggests, since their hands are not flat. "Putti di mare" seems to be a good search term.

It occurred to me that if the size is right, this would be a good stand for a crystal ball. Probably glass crystal, although rock crystal would be spectacular, it would be rather expensive at that size.

Message 29 of 42
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

@argon38 wrote:

Having never heard that term -- "sea cherubs," more or less -- I did some searching.  All I found was the same table, over and over again, from a company well known for its fantasy and mash-up pieces.  I'm wondering what you found (in addition to the table, I mean), if anything.  Not particularly relevant to OP, but I'm curious about the term.

Message 30 of 42
latest reply