cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help iding antique japanese doll

Would appreciate some help with this old doll.  Have spent a great deal of time researching and viewing photos  but remain more confused than ever.

This doll is approx. 24" tall, appears to have human hair and is dressed in natural fabrics.  Much of her body also appear to be made of cloth.  Her head and face though is hard  with a silk netting covering.

This doll is part of a friend''s estate  given to her as a childhood gift  in the '50 by the proprietor who had showcased it for many years in his then closing neighborhood Asian restaurant.  

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Need help iding antique japanese doll

She is lovely.  There are two unusual things about her, I think:

--  Monotone clothing -- all white / silver.  She isn't a bride doll, so the other thing that comes to mind for a doll dressed all in white / silver is that she might be Yuki-onna, the Snow Queen.   

--  Bare feet.  A woman fully outfitted but with bare feet did, once upon a time in Japan, in the arts, represent sexuality. 

So, you might do some searching along the lines of one or both of those things.   Unfortunately, haveing made those observations I've pretty much exhausted my knowledge.  Smiley Happy

I'm sorry I can't be more help.  There is also a Doll Board, if you want to try there, although it's a bit slow:
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Dolls/bd-p/218

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Without a photo that is right-side up, taken against a plain background, and shows the doll's face, who can say?  But a good place to start is with Nishi dolls, if the doll is c. 1950:

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1905&bih=904&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=5RcfWvjCFYOQ_Qboy5qAAw&q=Japanese+Ni...

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Maybe she's in the witness protection program ... you never know. 🙂
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

So sorry, not very good at this.  Thanks for the help.  Attached are two additional photos.  Phyllisjapanesedoll1.jpgjapanesedoll3.jpg

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

She is lovely.  There are two unusual things about her, I think:

--  Monotone clothing -- all white / silver.  She isn't a bride doll, so the other thing that comes to mind for a doll dressed all in white / silver is that she might be Yuki-onna, the Snow Queen.   

--  Bare feet.  A woman fully outfitted but with bare feet did, once upon a time in Japan, in the arts, represent sexuality. 

So, you might do some searching along the lines of one or both of those things.   Unfortunately, haveing made those observations I've pretty much exhausted my knowledge.  Smiley Happy

I'm sorry I can't be more help.  There is also a Doll Board, if you want to try there, although it's a bit slow:
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Dolls/bd-p/218

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Very helpful indeed. Thanks again. Phyllis
Message 6 of 6
latest reply