cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help IDing several military (?) items

I'm looking for any help to ID any of the items pictured.   I believe they are mostly military related but not sure if they're all foreign or some from the US.   Three of them are pins - the enameled cross, lightning bolt, and the one with a crown on it.  Thanks!

20230101_131724.jpg20230101_131914.jpg20230101_131954.jpg20230101_132040.jpg20230101_132131.jpg20230101_132242.jpg20230101_132338.jpg

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Need help IDing several military (?) items

The presence of the coins in the photos makes it difficult to identify using Google lens.  

Try cropping the coins out and using Google lens or image search.  The enameled cross might be Bulgarian.

Rita

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

The fourth image seems  to have many of the symbols of the coats of arms of Canada and its provinces.   However, my aging eyes cannot make out details in the image.  Your camera seems to want to make the coin the part of the photo that is in the sharpest focus.  Anyhow, maybe search along the Canadian line, unless someone comes along with a positive identification.

-

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

This is your last item.  I cannot vouch for the identification, so you need to verify that this seller is correct:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144540503898?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

-

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Here is an identification for the fifth item:

https://www.ttmilitaria.com/product/nnj285/

-

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

The first item I would say is Japanese, based on its having the kikyo (bellflower) symbol.  (At least, I see it as a kikyo.)

-

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@maxine*j, I thought this looked like the combined coats of arms of the provinces of Canada as well.

However, when I enlarged the image, even though it's out of focus, I can see that it's just "inspired by" the provincial coats of arms. There aren't enoguh of them, and the details are not correct.

There are 10 provinces, and only 7 coats of arms are included. Some of them are similar to the provincial arms, but not quite right. For example:

• 3 of the provinces have coats of arms with the red cross of St. George on a white field at the top, but only 2 are in this piece.
  • The top left coat of arms is similar to Ontario, but below the cross of St. George, there should be a spray of 3 maple leaves, and this piece has 3 stars.
  • The middle row on the right is similar to Manitoba, with some kind of animal  under the cross of St. George. It's supposed to be a bison (buffalo) and maybe that's what it's supposed to on this piece.
  • Alberta should also have a white field with a red cross of St. George, but there isn't another one.
  • The middle coat of arms is similar to New Brunswick,  with the lion passant on top, but the field is supposed to be gold, not blue.
  • That's the only coat of arms with a lion passant on top. Prince Edward Island should also have a red field with a gold lion passant, and Saskatchewan should have a gold field with a red lion passant on top.
  • I don't recognize the 2 coats of arms with the yellow fields, or the two with white fields.

If this piece is quite old, then I suppose it might be from before 1905, when the # of provinces increased from 7 to 9.

Provinces of Canada
Name Entered Confederation
OntarioJuly 1, 1867
QuebecJuly 1, 1867
Nova ScotiaJuly 1, 1867
New BrunswickJuly 1, 1867
ManitobaJuly 15, 1870
British ColumbiaJuly 20, 1871
Prince Edward IslandJuly 1, 1873
SaskatchewanSeptember 1, 1905
AlbertaSeptember 1, 1905
Newfoundland and LabradorMarch 31, 1949
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Google Lens.  I had no idea what you meant.  I just looked it up and a million thanks to you for mentioning this.    I have a box full of unidentified action figures and I will try out Google Lens tomorrow inorder to identify them. Actually, it might be helpful to other sellers if you started a post on it as a helpful tip to other sellers. Of course, I am assuming that Ebay would allow such a post.  Anyway, thank you and thank you too the poster.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

If this piece is quite old, then I suppose it might be from before 1905, when the # of provinces increased from 7 to 9.

A good, clear photo of the back of the pin might help date it, but I don't expect such to be provided.

-

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Thank you so much for the info!  I just now got a notification that there were replies so I hadn't seen these yet.  Here are more photos of the 4th item (front and back).  I'm not sure how old it is...I know it's older but not sure about before 1905.  And thanks for the Google Lens tip - I knew about it but I had totally forgotten that you could search by image.

20230101_132053.jpg20230101_132104.jpg

Message 10 of 10
latest reply