cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help w 1920 Cast Iron Hanging Porch Lamp w Slag Glass

glasswindchimes
Adventurer

This lantern was original to the house built in 1920.  It weighs about 17 lbs.  My question is, would it be more appealing to a buyer if I replace the glass, or would the buyer want to do that?  I have enough antique slag glass to do the job, it's about the same color w a little purple.  It might be a challenge to get the glass holding screws out..Is being "all original" important in this case? Is there a name for this style of lantern?  Thanks for any input.  

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Need Help w 1920 Cast Iron Hanging Porch Lamp w Slag Glass

Here's a thought:  Let the buyer have the option of restoring it with the glass you have.  Sell it with the glass, with just about the same working you used here, along the lines of,  I will include antique slag glass to restore the broken panels.  It's about the same color with a little purple, and it should be a good match.. etc.  It sounds like you know what you're doing, so cut the glass to size and include as many panels as needed.  If you want to be a real doll, include an extra one "just in case."

Maybe this way, you'll hit both markets:  The "as is" people and the "fix it up" folks.

Just a thought.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Personally the "with a little purple" part would bother me if it looked noticeably different from the other glass.  But others may not be as fussy.  

Rita

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Love your idea! Thank you, will do.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Glad to help. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply