cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help With Label on Glass Paper Weight

I picked up this glass paper weight this week.  It's glass with bubbles inside and has a brass leaf.  I believe, at one time, it had a brass stem.  It measures about 2 1/4 inches.   On the bottom are two labels.  One of them says "Do not place in direct sunlight".

The other label has the numbers 81 037  W T made..................I can't read the rest.

I've tried google search and even tried on Kovel's and I've been unable to learn what the WT stands for or what the rest of the label says. 

Does anyone know anything about this label?   Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.  paper weight 2.jpgpaper weight.jpg

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The label says MADE IN/ FABRIQUE A TAIWAN.

( Factory or Manufactured in Taiwan)

Click link to see intact label.

For information only.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174744192645

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

@nanniestreasurechest,

I found this one online and it says "Made in Taiwan" so that's probably what the label on yours says as well.

lacemaker3_0-1693518026259.png

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

self-deleted.  error.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@lacemaker3   That one does look like it.  Would still like to know more about the label to try to determine how old it might be.  Many of the paper weights have been reproduced. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

From the first photo, to me yours looks like a different shape than the one in @lacemaker3 's example but it could just be the angle.   The label is too blurry and not close enough in the second photo for me to see what it says.

Rita

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@melda58   The label is badly faded and distorted at the bottom.   Here is a better pic that I took with my camera.  IMG_9617.JPG

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

The label says MADE IN/ FABRIQUE A TAIWAN.

( Factory or Manufactured in Taiwan)

Click link to see intact label.

For information only.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174744192645

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@smiling66 Wow!  Thank you so much!  Not sure why that didn't come up in my searches!  I really appreciate it!

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

So why does it say to not put in direct sunlight? I was purchasing one at yard sale and it started to burn a wooden table like a magnifying glass. I was surprised because I wasn’t really thinking it was a fire danger . It was a clear paperweight ball with bubbles.

Judy

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@judy181garden  The glass works like a magnifying glass in direct sunlight so it could definitely be a fire hazard.  I had never really thought about it either until I saw that label.  But it makes sense. 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@judy181garden wrote:

So why does it say to not put in direct sunlight? I was purchasing one at yard sale and it started to burn a wooden table like a magnifying glass. I was surprised because I wasn’t really thinking it was a fire danger . It was a clear paperweight ball with bubbles.

Judy

@judy181garden 

Any clear spherical (or more-or-less spherical) object will focus light into a beam. That's why.

A lens-shaped clear item is even more effective at focusing light to a single point than a sphere is.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply