cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help Reading Artist Signature on Painting

Can anyone help me identify the artist signature on this painting?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Surname of unimportance as a copy of El Greco's 'View of Toledo."  Very likely an old time museum copy.

Debora

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Surname of unimportance as a copy of El Greco's 'View of Toledo."  Very likely an old time museum copy.

Debora

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thank you Debora! I think it is a museum copy too. It is printed onto canvas and frame mounted. I discovered it in fleamarket yesterday for $2.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Just for interest, the signature is actually a reproduction of El Greco's own signature, in Greek characters (Δομήνικος Θεοτοκόπουλος😞

"He usually signed his paintings in Greek letters with his full name, Domenicos Theotokopoulos, underscoring his Greek descent."

http://www.crete-kreta.com/el-greco

name

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Not a museum copy per se.  Not long ago (until the 1970s,) European museums would allow painters to work in their galleries copying masterworks, either for students to improve their technique or for impoverished artists to resell directly to the public.  Think yours would have been done in The Prado for resale.  The surname appears to be "Rodríquez" and the hand is rather old-fashioned so your copy may have some age.  Back of canvas would give you indication. 

Debora

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I agree with -argon- that it's El Greco's signature, reproduced along with the rest of the work.   Here's another example.

signature-from-st.j.jpg

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

I agree with -argon- that it's El Greco's signature, reproduced along with the rest of the work.  

Definitely. I think it's a case of cross-posting, rather than a disagreement.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Clever you re signature!  Of course, it would be El Greco's.  (An honest copiest.)

Debora

Message 8 of 8
latest reply