cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Miniature Painting Help

Can't tell if this is a painting. Seems to be but there are no brush strokes, and the medium is thin. The windows have gold highlights. The bottom has horizontal copper lines. It looks like nothing was painted there and exposing the copper. Image area is 2.25". Also, how old do you think is this piece.IMG_4849.JPGIMG_4846.JPGIMG_4847.JPGIMG_4848.JPGIMG_4851.JPG

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Miniature Painting Help

Looks like a later version of eglomise with all the black lines being a transfer decal  and the colors laid in by hand. Possibly late Grand Tour c 1880. Round or square nails holding the glass in place?  Figure the flag and you might be able to trace the house.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Thanks. Could there also possibly be some use of celluloid?

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I don't think so. Put the glass up to your cheek, it should be cold.

Maybe a paperweight with that felt.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

No not that. I've seen miniature paintings that were painted on top of celluloid. The paint details on them look like mine. But then again, what would explain the copper color I see on mine. 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I just now looked up eglomise. Have not heard of it before. I didn't know it is reverse painting. I am familiar with reverse painting. I can see now how this could be reverse painted. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

This seller identifies the image as Osborne House, on the Isle of Wight, but you must verify that:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1061605647/antique-verre-eglomise-glass-reverse

I suppose if it is, the flag shown in that link quite clearly, must be Albert's German flag.

-

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

You are awesome! I had done a search of the flag, but from what I could see from my painting I failed to find a match. I was able to find the word HOUSE on mine, but Osborne is hidden.  I looked for castles on line and didn't find a match. Thanks for finding a painting like mine on Etsy. I suppose these types of paintings were sold as souvenirs. 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@eclectic_finds4u wrote:

You are awesome! I had done a search of the flag, but from what I could see from my painting I failed to find a match. I was able to find the word HOUSE on mine, but Osborne is hidden.  I looked for castles on line and didn't find a match. Thanks for finding a painting like mine on Etsy. I suppose these types of paintings were sold as souvenirs. 

On yours the flag looks blue, white, red (French) and that threw me.  But in the Etsy listing photo, the colors are German, and that would work when Albert was in residence, I guess.  But it is still enough to make me say that you need to verify the Osborne House ID, which should be easy as there must be a zillion pictures of it on the web. 

Yes, souvenirs and rather nice ones, eh?

-

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Right on. I looked up the house and it matched.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Grand Tour which I referenced... = Tourist. Your piece is an old tourist piece.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

But not pure or period.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply