cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Military knife 1902

Donated, so no provenance is a knife that has written on the sheath Ralph W. Jones hero of battle of Magtaon 1902.  The handle looks like a combination of bone, leather, and bronze.  The knife is 6" long and with the handle is approx 10 1/2" long.  Red dots on one side of handle.  I found Jones on computer , so I know he is real but I have no personal knowledge that this knife belonged to him other than what is written on the sheath.  The sheath looks like the inside is wood surrounded by beaten tin on the outside.  How do I come up with a dollar figure to sell?

Thanks everyone

Tami

CAM05342.jpgCAM05343.jpgCAM05344.jpg

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Military knife 1902

So, you have no period photograph of Ralph holding the knife? As af said sticky tag provenance is basically worth the sticky tag it is written upon. Ask your donor if they have any authenticated provenance besides the sticky tags. If not, you just have an old knife.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Are those sticky labels with writing on on the sheath? Is that the source of your provenance?

I dont think people will give that all that much credit as evidence.  The value is probably that of a nice example of a Phillipine knife or around 1900.

=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

So, you have no period photograph of Ralph holding the knife? As af said sticky tag provenance is basically worth the sticky tag it is written upon. Ask your donor if they have any authenticated provenance besides the sticky tags. If not, you just have an old knife.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I'd hesitate to call this a "military knife" without research.  It doesn't have the look of a military-issue knife, of any country or era.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

DYI  poor workmenship, 

HINC HVMILIBVS VENIA

HINC RETRIBVTO SVPERBIS

MISERICORDIAS DOMINI IN AETERNVM CANTABO AD MAJOREM DEI GLORIAM
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Looks like a souvenir knife from the Middle east; Egypt, for example; or possibly India.  I wouldn't expect it to be a knife for actual use, or as old as 1902.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for the input

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

The donor did not leave a name or number, so I guess I am going to sell it as an old knife.  Thanks for the input.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for checking it out.  I guess it's just an old handmade knife.  Rats.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for checking it out.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply