cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meissen Mark - Real or Fake

Good afternoon!

If anyone could help me to identify this porcelain mark on a figurine, I would very much appreciate it.

The crossed blue swords seem to be consistent with Meissen; however, the other marks are a little odd to me.  I have never seen them before.

Thank you in advance for your help!

-Jess

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Meissen Mark - Real or Fake

a picture of the actual figurine or item so that folks can see what you actually have might help

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Here is a picture of the figurine.   Thank you mimiwells for the suggestion! 🙂

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

No. It is not meissen.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

I want to add that, while this isn't Meissen, I believe it is a known mark from a contemporary imitator and I have seen it before. Besides being old, The piece has some charming elements, the hand painted pattern on the trousers (embroidery) the toes sticking out and the googly eyed fish. Even with the repaired hand, I would be ashamed to sell it for less than $75, but little fonts, like myself, love this sort of thing.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

The mark with E and C was used by Choisy le Roi from 1786 to 1886, or so I read, so it would be a fake Choisy le Roi mark?
Janet
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@janetpjohn_la wrote:
 would be a fake Choisy le Roi mark?

I am unsure of the right term. Fake, Forgery or Imitation.

Because Meissen basically introduced bone china to Europe, many companies adopted a mark similar to Meissen (the blue crossed swords). I would place this one in the imitation category, because it isn't trying very hard to forge a Meissen mark. So, it could have been made in Choisy le Roi, by a maker wanting the glow of association of Meissen without infringing on a well known sort of trademark by adding those initials.

But, I suppose the piece could have been sold in the US, Japan, or South America by unscrupulous dealers at the time who would claim, to ignorant buyers, that it was Meissen.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Just because someone tells you it’s a fake don’t believe them.  . An opinion on homeco sticker on pieces with a Meissen mark. When English export taxes Rose and the same thing with China, Companies started moving product by shipping ground to Taiwan and Macau and adding a mark and then sending it to the US paying less taxes. What makes more sense? That a company manufacturing a product with a fake mark setting them self up to get sued.? No. Because not only that but even companies like Meissen commissioned work to subcontractors artisans that had to hand paint the marks and that’s why they’re all unique they didn’t manufacture in house every single piece that was sent out that got the perfect mark with the stamp.

The below examples are all examples of authenticated various periods & studios / artists Meissen marks
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

but the piece is crudely made,Meissen would never been caught dead making such a piece.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

In general I don’t disagree with you at all. However, I also find Value In considering all possibilities of things.  In many companies there is a quality control process. When items don’t meet standard they are sent down a different path and intended to be destroyed.  you would be surprised in many companies,  The quantity of rejected parts pieces and items that survive destruction. 

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

I can assure you this aint one of them.
Once I saw a Meissen clown holding a pole,the pole is broken and the clerk said I will sell this to you for US$1000.
Later I asked a Meissen rep and he said it is a good deal,they do have repair man and it would cost 100 dollars to repair it.
so make it 1100?
Meissen differs from the other porcelain makers,it is handsculpted,look at the features of the face and the fingers down to the tip .
thats why Meissen is so expensive,even Augarten cant match it.
You know 2 Meissen workers went to Austria to work for Royal Vienna back then
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

many years ago there was a German who sell Meissen figurines which did not meet its quality control on Ebay.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

People, this thread is almost a year old.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Dear commentor, we are discussing items that are over 100 years old. Is there a time limit for people searching, from all over the earth, desiring to comment and collaborate via an open blog thread?  Please respect yourself and others, refrain from posting unrelated comments in a thread. Thank you

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Ouch!Smiley Surprised

Message 15 of 17
latest reply