cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massive plant stand

Hello, 

Can anyone please help me identify this plant stand? It's nearly 6 ft tall, make of smooth black iron that is made to resemble thick bamboo, is finished everywhere and has white feet when you look at the bottom. The wooden platforms are solid wood. I know it's vintage, but from when? I think it's  Mid century but I'm starting to wonder if it may be older. Any help would be much appreciated!!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Massive plant stand

My first reaction to dating it is that large iron plant stands were popular in the early 20th century, 1890-1920 and the late 1960s and 1970s. Since there was a craze in the late 1960s/1970s for reproducing styles from Aesthetics movement/Arts and Crafts it is hard to determine from style alone.

When I see iron plant stands from the Aesthetics period, they tend to be smaller, and with fancier embellishments. Though bamboo was a popular motif, the sort of wild asymmetrical arms would have been more popular in the 1970s.  I could see this coming out of the shop of an eccentric artist/welder in 1895 or a hippy, boho shop in 1975 that tended to cater to Rhoda Morgenstern (or least likely a sort of thing bought by Sister Perish in the 1930s, to decorate a NE weekend house). Check the bottom, edges, etc closely for any factory/artist marks.

The decay/burning of the wood does seems to indicate age. The quality of the hardware/joining/welds might indicate period, or at least quality. Close ups of the feet, how the pieces are attached (as in how one bamboo rod is welded to another) and the actual metal plates that the wood screws into, might help to determine the quality if not the age.

This is the kind of thing I expect to see at 1stdibs, espically with the plant craze right now.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

To avoid neck strains:

IMG_2685.JPG

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Oh, so that's how it goes. I thought the plants would slide right off. If you make your pictures smaller (size them) they wont come out all wacky like that. And how about some closeups with better light.? Help us help you.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Do all the round wooden tiers have that square mark on them with the screw holes?  It looks like whatever was on these two was attached.  

Rita

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

My first reaction to dating it is that large iron plant stands were popular in the early 20th century, 1890-1920 and the late 1960s and 1970s. Since there was a craze in the late 1960s/1970s for reproducing styles from Aesthetics movement/Arts and Crafts it is hard to determine from style alone.

When I see iron plant stands from the Aesthetics period, they tend to be smaller, and with fancier embellishments. Though bamboo was a popular motif, the sort of wild asymmetrical arms would have been more popular in the 1970s.  I could see this coming out of the shop of an eccentric artist/welder in 1895 or a hippy, boho shop in 1975 that tended to cater to Rhoda Morgenstern (or least likely a sort of thing bought by Sister Perish in the 1930s, to decorate a NE weekend house). Check the bottom, edges, etc closely for any factory/artist marks.

The decay/burning of the wood does seems to indicate age. The quality of the hardware/joining/welds might indicate period, or at least quality. Close ups of the feet, how the pieces are attached (as in how one bamboo rod is welded to another) and the actual metal plates that the wood screws into, might help to determine the quality if not the age.

This is the kind of thing I expect to see at 1stdibs, espically with the plant craze right now.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Hello all, 

Thank you so much for the helpful information. I've taken a few more pictures and need to take more of the screws and the body as a whole, outside of the basement. I've sanded, stained and glazed the wood plants. They were faded to a single color on top. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

A few more.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

About 1" screw 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Real and reproduction regarding this are 100 years apart. Here's  a bit more clarity before listing it. I would say that your plastic/vinyl  glides on the feet would date it into the 1960'/70's.  And the weld (close up-thank you) seems to be from that time as well.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

60's/70's it is! Here it is after the makeover.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

That looks reall great.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Very cute!

Message 12 of 12
latest reply