cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Japanese box w/ overlaid sterling cranes- Signature help please

I don't read Japanese, can anyone help me? The box measures about 8" long and the cranes are sterling I' m sure. Also, aprox age Meiji? Later? The greenish you see on the craneedges would be from the metals touching (brass/silver). Any help is greatly appreciated

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Japanese box w/ overlaid sterling cranes- Signature help please

Can anyone read Japanese? I know you are out there!

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

I'ts just two characters...Anyone? Jharv?

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Sonoma, you live in CA.  Why don't you take it to a Japanese restaurant, gallery or museum?

Patd

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

A good thought. There used to be quite a few on here that could read Japanese and Chinese. Is business that bad that they have all taken up jobs at restaurants and...? grinning

Thanks.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

they are just 2 kansii characters,unless you know the artist or the buyer looking for a particular artist,it really does not matter.

restauranteurs would not know,

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

That's not necessarily true. For some items it's true that buyers will find it, but for others it can make a huge difference. 

True story I had a Chinese silver vase that I listed. It sold the first time (without listing the artists name) for around $120. Because I had a discrepancy with the global shipping program I had to relist it. By the time I relisted I had gotten a response to a post telling me the artist's name. I relisted with the same title except I included the English and Chinese characters for the artist's name. The second time it sold for $900.  After that experience I always make an effort to figure out the mark. 

Sonoma, I made a post asking about this for you on Asianart. Hopefully, it may get a response in the next day or so. I will post back here if it does. 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

So, they have no meaning at all? Just for fun, what do those two marks translate to? Thanks.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Thanks, that is what I was thinking given that it has the sterling overlay. Thanks for posting it on that other site!

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

these are KANSII CHARACTERs,they are his artist name,loosely meaning foturne and respect.'

Artist will choose a different name for trade and keep his personal name private/ 

there is Yahoo Japan,you may ask there , 

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Thank you. 

"they are his artist name,loosely meaning foturne and respect.'"  But what is his artist name? The actual name, not what it means.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

Thank you. 

"they are his artist name,loosely meaning foturne and respect.'"  But what is his artist name? The actual name, not what it means.

I think Casey is saying that these Kanji characters, in themselves, are not the artists's name and they only mean what they mean:  Fortune.  Respect.   Next comes the problem of discovering what Japanese artist used them as his "signature" on this kind of work. 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

I understand that, but casey says: "they are his artist name, loosely meaning foturne and respect."  I tried to search that and came up with nothing. I like that the name means  "Fortune and respect". I guess my question really should be at this point "Who is the Japanese artist that signed his sterling/brass works ) fortune and respect?)"

I did come across a couple brass  sterling overlaid items that had Japanese sigs that were actually names which is why I persist.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Not to worry, sold it today to a gentleman whose name translates to "happy  may the fortune on this transaction  be upon your house."

Thanks everyone for your help.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Sugoi!

Message 15 of 16
latest reply